Chapter 5

Tilly sneaked out of the palace for the second time that night.

After she met with Kiho in the hidden pavilion a while ago, she went back in the ballroom to assure her father that she hasn't left the banquet. Just like she expected, a knight went to her and informed her that the emperor has requested a private audience with her.

[That was exactly what happened in my previous life. After I went to the emperor's private room, I was formally introduced to Captain Kiho. Then, the moment we went out of the chamber, we were already engaged.]

But she wanted to tweak the event a little.

That was why right now, she was quietly on her way to meet Isabella again. This time, she asked the young maid to bring her second dress– the ash blue floral-embroidered tulle lace long gown that she chose from the catalog.

She wanted to meet Kiho wearing a dress that embodied her current personality: simple yet elegant. Right now, she wasn't as ambitious as she used to be. She thought she could show that to Kiho by wearing a comfortable dress rather than a glamorous one.

For that, she was currently walking quietly on the hidden side of the courtyard.

"Lady Prescott, are you trying to run away from destiny?"

Tilly let out a loud gasp when she heard the voice that she would never forget. She instinctively placed a hand on her chest when she felt her heart jump. Then, fear started to paralyze her system when she realized that she knew very well the person who just talked.

How could she forget the loud and firm voice that sentenced her to death in her past life?

[Emperor Aku Moonchester.]

When her heart started to return to its natural beat, she gracefully turned around.

Just like she expected, Emperor Aku was standing in front of her with a curious look on his immaculately handsome face. But surprisingly, he was alone.

Did he sneak out of the palace, too?

His Majesty wasn't wearing his regal red cape. It looked like he sneaked out by blending with the other nobles because he was wearing a cloak over a normal three-piece crisp suit. He probably used the hood of his cloak to hide his unique silver hair.

[But his good looks and good built are hard to miss. He definitely used some sort of magic to escape from his royal knights. I remember he often did that in the past.]

"Greetings to the one and only moon that embraces our great empire," Tilly politely greeted the emperor with a curtsy and a lowered gaze.

To be honest, she didn't expect the emperor to recognize her. In her past life, she was close with Princess Nia. But before she married Kiho, she didn't have any solo interaction with the emperor. So right now, she was surprised when he called her by her name.

"Rise," Emperor Aku said smoothly.

She looked up into the emperor's red eyes glowing with obvious curiosity. Under the moonlight, his hair and skin looked paler than usual.

[Gosh, did he have to be this handsome?]

But despite the emperor's beauty, she was still a little scared of him.

She couldn't help it because this was the man who sent her to death in her previous life. Until now, she couldn't forget the look of hatred on his face as he watched her get beheaded along with the citizens who came to the plaza to witness her public execution.

[But it's not like I can blame the emperor. I was a bitch who deserved to die then.]

"Lady Prescott, I believe I asked for a private audience with you," Emperor Aku reminded her in a gentle yet firm voice. "You're not running away, are you?"