Chapter 169

Aku, sitting in his throne comfortably, raised a brow at Kiho.

He was amused.

They both knew that the "evidence" that Kiho brought up during their last meeting was just fabricated. House Huxley and House Hayward definitely didn't send the assassins to House Nystrom to kill Kiho's son.

The assassins were there due to Nia's order to bring Lady Nystrom to her.

Still, he decided to humor Kiho. The assassins that he brought to the Royal Palace were properly placed in prison. He also decided to open a noble trial.

"I know that House Huxley and House Hayward are both loyal followers to His Majesty," Kiho, who stood in front of him with a blank look on his face, continued with his bluff. "But I trust that His Majesty is going to be fair during the noble trial."

This time, Aku couldn't help but laugh. "Why are you so talking formally, Kiho?" he asked, then he opened his arms to motion to the empty throne room. Only the two of them were there. Sir Gregory wanted to stay and guard him but he insisted that he wanted to talk to his brother alone. "Duke Alastair and Count Dasovich aren't here."

He knew that during their last meeting, Kiho intentionally brought up the attack to his family in the presence of Duke Alastair and Count Dasovich. His advisors might be loyal to him, but they were also very upright people.

And that was exactly why he couldn't turn down Kiho's request last time.

So this time, he made sure no one else would join his audience.

"You can talk casually to me, Kiho," he encouraged his brother with a smile. "You know, like in the old times."

Kiho just remained silent.

Ah, so he's keeping his distance between us.

He wasn't going to lie– that hurt him. After all, he was so used to Kiho following his orders without questions. In the past, it was easier to control him.

But for some reason, Lady Nystrom had changed his brother completely.

"Kiho, are we really doing this?" he asked his brother seriously. "I'm giving you the chance to change your mind."

His brother remained silent.

"I will welcome you back to my side anytime, Kiho," he persisted. "I'm telling you now– staying with Lady Nystrom will be your end."

After all, the Fire Mages would never accept Kiho as the Supreme's husband.

I worked hard to make sure that the Fire Mages will hate the Black Serpent forever.

"Why would staying with my wife become my end, Your Majesty?" Kiho finally asked. "And why do you sound so sure about it?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Your words sounded like a threat, Your Majesty," he deadpanned. "You make it sound like I'm going to regret staying with Tilly."

"Was it ever proven that the Fire Mages betrayed the royal family, Your Majesty?" Kiho asked with a slightly raised brow as if he was challenging him. "If it was, then can you tell me and everyone in the empire what kind of crime did the Fire Mages allegedly committed for them to be considered traitors?"

He clenched his fists at his brother's probing questions. "The crime that the Fire Mages had committed against the royal family is unspeakable, Kiho."

"Or fabricated," Kiho said. "If you can't tell us the reason for their "crime," then it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the betrayal of the Fire Mages is nothing but a myth."