Chapter 7

"I PREPARED a small gift for you, Kiho," Tilly told the captain while they were sitting side by side on the bench. Even though they just got engaged, he was still very mindful of her personal space. He wouldn't even let their arms touch. But she was fine with it. "Here."

She handed him the box with a big bow on it. He looked hesitant when he took the gift because she insisted. It looked like he was conflicted for some reason.

"Tilly, I'm happy that you got me a present but at the same, I'm embarrassed," Kiho said. "I didn't prepare a gift for you."

Of course he wouldn't prepare a gift for a woman he was supposed to dump.

He may not have prepared a material gift for her, but she sure received a nice present from him a while ago.

"That's not true, Kiho," she said with a playful smile. "You gave me a gift."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You gave me a lovely title," she answered. "You called me a goddess."

"Of crabs," he reminded her. "And you hit me for it."

She laughed heartily at how light and fun their conversation was. This was so different from the formal ones that they had in her previous life. Plus, the current Kiho spoke a lot. In the past, he used to be so awkward at communicating.

[I'm glad our first meeting turned out to be very different from the first one we had in my previous life.]

"I may have overreacted but I like the sound of it. For real," she said sincerely. "If you didn't see me struggling from trying to open crab claws, you wouldn't have approached me. So I'm grateful for the crabs for letting us talk that night."

"Ah, that's true."

"I like your confession, too," she added. "You were willing to risk your life just to be with me. That's already a priceless gift, Kiho."

He blinked in surprise. "I didn't expect a duke's daughter to be this easy to please."

She giggled at his straightforwardness. "You seem to have prejudice against higher nobles."

"Did I offend you?"

"No. Most of your bad impressions on higher nobles might be true anyway," she admitted. Before she was reborn, she used to be a high-maintenance lady. She loved glamorous clothes and expensive jewelries. Well, she still enjoyed luxury but right now, she has also learned the value of non-material things. "Anyway, you may open your gift. It's a simple present so don't expect too much."

"That will be impossible because whatever I receive from you, I will treat it like it's the most precious thing in the world," he said while opening the box in a swift movement.

Thank god he was busy "unboxing" her present because he couldn't see her blushing face.

[I didn't know Kiho can be this smooth.]

"Oh."

She couldn't help but smile when she saw Kiho's face light up as soon as he saw the content of the box. Then, he turned to her with a childish glint in his golden eyes. He looked like a little kid who just received a present from Santa Claus.

"You got me seafood tools," he said with a slightly more cheerful tone than his usual monotonous voice. "I'm delighted."

"And I'm happy that you liked my simple present."

She got Kiho a set of crab crackers, a pair of butter warmer (a small ceramic bowl over a votive holder and candle), and a customized seafood scissors. She drew the design of the seafood scissors and had a great smith to create it. It was closer to the seafood scissors she had in the modern world than what was currently available in the empire.