Chapter 17: My Average Life

Mason

I don't know how to explain it well, but compared to my friends I feel a bit...average. I mean sure my family's pretty crazy, but what else is there? I mean, Melanie's rich as all get out, and she's a very well accepted lesbian who could turn any woman gay. And Hawk, he's got mad guitar and singing skills. But me, I don't have much. I may be one of the best older brothers to ever exist, but that's all.

I sigh, turning my attention back to my Math homework. Even though it's Saturday, I'm doing homework. It kind of fucking sucks. It should be illegal for teachers to give you homework over the weekend.

"I'm bored!" Carter announces, walking into my room and throwing himself face-first into my bed.

"Go bug Jack or something, he's always doing something. I wouldn't say he does interesting things, but he does things."

"Wow," he says sitting up, "You're not very exciting either."

I scoff. "Listen here you little son of a bitch. I am one of the most exciting people I know, I come in third out of everyone."

"You mean third out of your group of three friends?" He asks sarcastically.

"What do you want from me?" I question, actually becoming irritated now.

"I told you, I'm bored," he explains once again.

"Then go find something to do. Play video games, go bother Brooke, watch anime. Do literally anything," I suggest, going back to my work.

"Ugh! Fiiine!" And with that he leaves my room.

After about half an hour of 'doing homework', I give up and go to the kitchen to make myself a snack. I see Brooke sitting at the table with some art project out, her headphones are on so I figure I shouldn't bother her.

I cut up a banana, placing it into a bowl, then I add chocolate syrup to it. I get a spoon from the utensil drawer, and I'm about to go sit down on the living room couch when I hear Jack yell.

"CARTER YOU ASSHOLE! YOU PUT PURPLE HAIR DYE INTO THE SHAMPOO!" I see a furious looking Jack run into the living room with a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair, although usually a dark brown, is now purple in colour. His hair drips water onto the floor, leaving slightly purple water marks on the ground.

"Where is he?" He asks me, rage present in his tone and facial expressions.

"I don't know, last I saw he was in my room..." I trail off, realizing that this is kind of my fault. I should've known Carter was gonna do something incredibly stupid.

I set my snack down on the coffee table, and walk over to Jack.

"Maybe if we rinse it enough it'll come out," I say.

"I already tried that!" He shouts. I look over to the kitchen to see Brooke snickering to herself, clearly caught up on the whole situation.

"Hang on, Mom should be home soon from grocery shopping. She'll know what to do. And if it doesn't work you can always live with purple hair for a couple of weeks," I add in. He glares daggers at me.

"Well if you see Carter, tell him I'll kill him."

"Will do," I reply, sitting down on the couch.

Our Mom walks through the front door carrying a bunch of bags of groceries about twenty minutes later. I go over to her, helping to put away the food.

"Oh," I begin, "Jack might need your help with something."

"What is it this time?" She asks, exhaustion in her voice.

"Carter may or may not have put purple hair dye in his shampoo. And now Jack may or may not look like a grape."

"Oh dear lord! I leave you kids alone for two hours and your brother turns into a human fruit!" She exclaims, angrily putting away some boxes.

"Carter! Get your butt in here right now!" She yells from the kitchen. Only a few seconds pass before a very much scared looking Carter appears before us. I was going to leave the room while she yells at him, but I figure it'd be funnier (for me) if I stay.

"I don't even have the patience right now to ask you 'why', so I'll just say this. Grounded, one week, no TV or phone! Cough it up mister!" Carter quickly hands her his phone, a small frown on his face. I chuckle at this. This idiot knew what he was getting himself into, so it's his own fault really.

"Now go help Jack rinse out the dye before it can set too much. If it comes down to it you can use some of the dye I have for my hair on him." Carter just nods, then walks away.

* * * *

"So now Jack's hair is tinted purple," I explain to Melanie as we pull into the Tim Horton's drive thru.

"Man, your family is fucked," she laughs. I roll my eyes.

"You should try living with it everyday."

It's that same day, just around dinner. Melanie and I had wanted to hang out, and we got hungry so we thought we'd get some food. Of course Melanie had to choose Tim Horton's, I mean at least it's not StarBucks (cause that place is too expensive).

I order a pretzel bagel with butter and a mango and pineapple smoothie. Melanie decides to get a candy cane hot chocolate (tis the season) and a panini.

We stay in her car in the parking lot, eating the delicious food.

"It's too bad Hawk has that date tonight, it's always more fun with all of us," I say. She nods in agreement.

"Definitely, but I mean if he's finally opening up to someone else, I think it's just as good."

"Yeah, I feel bad saying this about him, but he's terrible at handling his emotions. He's either crying in anger or frustration, or he's ignoring all of it. Maybe this Jayden guy will really help him."

"Hopefully. By the way he talked about him, it seems he likes Jayden quite a bit," she says, emphasizing the 'b'.

We finish eating, and Melanie drops me off at my house. I walk into the front door, and I immediately hear shouting, and the whole atmosphere of the house is chaos.

Ah, home sweet home.