Chapter 56: Helen and David Caine

Jayden

"I'm not so sure about this anymore," I admit, peering over to Hawk. He rolls his eyes at me, sighing slightly.

"We've been over this like fifty times," he argues. "You know you're gonna go in there, so just man up and do it!" My brows furrow at this, stunned by my boyfriend's attitude. Hawk puts his hands up in surrender, clearly realizing what he said.

"Sorry, I was listening to gangster rap before this," Hawk explains, and I chuckle under my breath.

I huff, leaning my head on the headrest, my arms falling off the steering wheel. Ever since my Mom told me that Will's parents wanted me to come over, I've been a bit... back and forth to put it mildly. At first, I was completely against it. Then I wanted to, then not, I was back to wanting to when I got in my Mom's car and drove here. And now I'm back to not wanting to.

I feel Hawk's hand on my shoulder, breaking my trance. "Hey, I'm here for you, whatever you decide."

This is the reason I brought Hawk. I know I would chicken out, so I thought I could use some moral support, especially since this is only the second time I'm going to see these people.

I sigh, unbuckling my seat belt and turning to open the car door, finally urging myself to make my way inside. Hawk follows a few moments after, catching up to me once I reach the front door.

"Am I a complete idiot for doing this?" I question, glancing over to Hawk. He just smiles, placing his hand in mine. I give him a weak smile in return, and slowly press the doorbell -which startles me immediately.

My heart begins to race, the few seconds it takes for the door to open destroying me. Hawk squeezes my hand gently, but it doesn't calm me down.

The door finally opens to reveal a woman slightly shorter than me with mostly grey hair, some brown still visible. She offers me a kind smile, and ushers me inside.

The house is relatively small, but it's not bad for just a couple. The entranceway opens into the kitchen, with the living room behind it.

"Would you like your coats hung up in the closet?" She asks politely, clearly trying her hardest to be nice to me. I only nod in response, sliding the denim jacket off of my arms and handing it to her. Hawk shakes his head at the gesture, deciding to keep his hoodie on.

I take in the sight of the woman. Helen Caine. Looking at her, it's easy to see her relation to Will. They have the same brown hair, but where his eyes are a bright blue, hers are a chocolate brown. She's clad in a yellow blouse and dark jeans.

"Well, hello there," a deep voice greets from behind me. I turn around to see David, a friendly look on his face. A plaid shirt is fitted over his frame, and a pair of jeans rests on his legs. "Found your way here, did you?" I nod. It took over an hour to drive here, and I had to go down some random back roads that I had never driven before. It's safe to say that I had to turn around several times.

"I'm Helen," Mrs. Caine directs at Hawk. "And that's my husband, David."

"Hi," Hawk responds, a weakness to his words. "I'm Jayden's boyfriend, Hawk." There's a moment of silence in the room. Hawk and I had discussed casually slipping in the detail of our dating life as soon as we could. I would hate to get attached to them just to find out they're homophobic pricks.

"It's lovely to meet you, Hawk," David says, and I let out a small sigh of relief. "Would you two like anything to drink?"

I peer over at Hawk, silently asking if he wants anything. He nods, his attention going back to Mr. Caine.