Chapter 35: A New Chapter

Jayden

"I don't know what I'm gonna do," I say, running a hand through my hair.

"Honey, you should do whatever you feel you need to. There's no pressure on you to go, but just know that there isn't much time left," my Mom soothes, rubbing my back softly. I sigh.

"It's just too hard. I mean, I tried going with you last weekend and I chickened out. It's like I get in sight of the hospital, and I freeze." My Mom pulls me into a side hug, setting my head onto her shoulder.

"It's okay, I understand if you don't want to visit your father. But just know that I think it would help you a lot, you know, sort of like closure." I move away from her embrace, a feeling of clarity entering me.

"I'll go," I state, an empty expression present on my face. My Mom stands up from my bed, readjusting the light blue scrubs on her.

"I have to go back to work, so I'll see you in the morning. I'm getting a ride with a co-worker, so if you want to borrow my car at all, feel free," she says, I nod, and she leaves my room.

I peer over to where my phone is sitting near the top of my bed. I contemplate what to do for a few moments, then grab the small device. I scroll through my contacts until I find Hawk's, then press the call button. The phone rings for a second or two before I hear Hawk's familiar voice.

"Hey, what's up?" He asks.

"I need you to go somewhere with me," I state. We talk for a few more minutes, then I end the call. I shove my phone into my pocket, and walk down the hall to the front door. I throw on my winter coat, and snatch the keys to my Mom's car. I open the door to the car, sliding into the front seat and putting the key into the ignition. I start the car, and begin driving towards Hawk's house. Before I even realize what I'm doing, I'm pulling into the driveway in front of the mansion. I notice Hawk sitting on the steps in front of the door. He's clad in a pair of ripped, light wash jeans and a puffy, black jacket. He peers up to me when the car stops, then makes his way over to me.

"Hi," I say weakly as he opens the passenger side door, already feeling an awkward tension.

"Jayden, are you sure I should be here?" Hawk questions, giving me a sincere look.

"Hawk, I don't think I would have the strength to do this without you," I admit, gazing up into his gorgeous eyes.

"Alright, but just know that if you start crying, I won't really know what to do," he jokes, then finally sits down in the seat next to me. I don't begin driving right away, instead I just sit there and stare at Hawk -as creepy as it sounds. Hawk and I have been a lot better since we talked in the courtyard at school. We've pulled back a lot from what we would normally do, just wanting to learn more about each other. It's been really nice actually, and I think it's eased my mind a lot.

"Jayden?" Hawk asks, raising an eyebrow to me. I blink a few times, focusing back on the boy in front of me.

"Sorry, I guess I kind of spaced out," I say sheepishly.

"Jayden, you don't have to do this, your mom will understand if you don't visit your dad," he states, gently placing a hand on my arm.

"No, I want to, I just need a minute." He smiles at me, rubbing my arm gently.

"I'll be right here the whole time, don't worry." Hawk then moves closer to me and presses a soft kiss to my cheek.

Once we make it to the hospital I lead Hawk over to the reception desk. I kindly ask the woman behind the counter for Will Caine. She gives me the room number, and I make my way over to the elevator to get to the third floor where my father's room is. Hawk grabs my hand and squeezes it tightly as we entre the elevator. I peer over to Hawk, and smile slightly.