Chapter 40: Messages From The Past

Hawk

I knock on the door of the house in front of me, waiting patiently for someone to answer. I stand there for less than ten seconds before the door opens to reveal Jayden. I notice that he's clad in a pair of black jeans, a grey button down, and a navy blue tie that's undone around his neck. His hair is also more slicked back than usual. 

"Hey," he says, somewhat emotionless. Jayden takes a few steps back, and I walk into the warm house. Even though it's halfway through March, it's still quite cold outside, especially in the evening -like right now. 

"So," I begin, taking my shoes off on the mat. "How'd it go today?" 

Jayden sighs, tilting his head down towards the floor. 

"That bad?" I ask, raising my eyebrows in slight concern. Jayden groans in response. 

"The funeral was okay, but once everyone started mingling afterwards, it got super weird. Everyone kept asking who my Mom and I were. And apparently Will hadn't even told his parents that he'd gotten my Mom pregnant, so they were surprised to meet me. So, I guess I have more grandparents now. They also want to get to know me, so they're setting up a dinner for my Mom and I to attend," Jayden complains as we walk to his bedroom. He lies down on his back on the bed. I laugh at his demeanor, then lie down beside him. 

I pull him over to me, gently resting his head against my chest, wrapping an arm around him. Jayden softly runs his index finger up and down my chest. I move my hand to play with the hair at the back of his neck. I lean down and place a kiss on the top of his head, leaving my lips linger there for a second or two. 

"How's your Mom handling all of this?" I ask after a while of silence. Jayden had mentioned that his Mom was beginning to develop feelings again for Will, so it can't be good for her that he passed away. He left her once before, and then left her again, but this time he can never come back. 

"She's...getting there. She dropped me off here after the funeral, then went up to her parents'," Jayden explains, peering up at me. I nod in understanding. 

"She won't be coming back till tomorrow," Jayden states. I can't help but smirk at what Jayden's implying. He wouldn't have said anything about that if he wasn't insinuating something. 

"You can stay over if you'd like," Jayden says, clearly being able to read my thoughts. I run my fingers through his hair. 

"Do you want me to stay over?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"It's up to you, but I'd rather you stay here," he mumbles against my chest. I chuckle slightly. 

"Sure, I'll stay." Jayden lifts his head to mine, connecting our lips in a sweet kiss. I lean into his touch, savouring the taste of his lips. We pull away after a few seconds, both breathing heavily. I smile down at my boyfriend, and he grins widely back at me. 

* * * * 

I peer over my shoulder to Jayden who's making some snacks for us in the kitchen. I hear my phone ding, so I slide it out of my pocket and look at it. There's a text from an unknown number on the screen. 

Unknown: U back in LA yet?

I stare down at the message, unsure of who this is. I've met a bunch of people in Los Angeles, but usually I save the numbers of anyone important. 

To Unknown: Who is this?? 

I had a feeling in my gut that I shouldn't text this person back, but I couldn't help myself. It was if my fingers had hit send before my brain could even catch up. I'm about to turn off my phone when a reply comes in.