Chapter 51: Manicures and Milkshakes

Melanie

"Hey," I greet, opening the door to see Mason standing there, a bag slung over his shoulder. Mason walks inside, and I close the door behind him.

"Is Hawk here yet?" He asks, taking off his shoes. I shake my head.

"No, his parents are dropping him off soon, though," I say, walking with Mason up to my room.

"Why isn't he just driving?" Mason questions, raising an eyebrow at me. I shrug.

"Apparently something happened, so now his parents don't trust him enough to go where he's supposed to," I explain, and Mason gives me a confused look, but doesn't ask anything else. When we make it to my room, Mason sets his bag down beside my bed.

"What's for dinner?" He asks, sitting down on my bed. I shrug, sitting down beside him.

"Whatever we want," I state, a smirk playing at my lips.

Mason and I talk for about twenty minutes before I hear a knock at the door and go back downstairs to open it. I'm surprised when I see Hawk's parents standing behind him. I smile -slightly awkwardly- at them.

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis," I say, and they greet me with a 'hello'. Hawk walks inside, rolling his eyes. I'm about to shut the door when Hawk's dad speaks up.

"Are your parents here by chance?" He asks, peering inside. I shake my head.

"No, they're out of town this weekend," I reply, and Mrs. Lewis' face sours a little.

"Oh, do you have their cell numbers?" She asks, and I nod.

"Sure, would you like me to give it to you?" I suggest, and they nod. I grab a pen and paper from on the small table beside me, jotting the number down for them.

"Is there anything else you'd like?" I question, handing the paper over to Mrs. Lewis. She shakes her head, smiling at me.

"No, thank you. But if anything comes up, please call us. And make sure Hawk calls us before you go to bed," Mr. Lewis states, and I give them a sort of half-smile. They say goodbye to me, then leave. I stand there for another moment, unsure of what exactly happened.

"Don't worry about that," I hear Hawk say from behind me, a dull, bored tone in his voice. I peer at him over my shoulder, my eyes slightly narrowed.

"What was that all about?" I question, and Hawk just rolls his eyes, walking upstairs. I sigh, knowing that he won't tell me, and follow him.

"I'm starving!" I hear Mason complain before I even get to my room. I stop in the doorway, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring at him slightly.

"You just got here, how are you already hungry?" I counter, and he shakes his head at me.

"Melanie, Melanie, Melanie," he tsks. "I'm always hungry. How do you not know this yet?" I roll my eyes playfully.

"Fine, then what do we want to eat? We have some frozen pizzas that we could make," I suggest, and Mason nods happily. "Hawk? That good with you?" He shrugs.

"Sure, I don't really care," he states, taking out his phone. Mason huffs.

"What the fucks up with you?" He asks, narrowing his eyes at Hawk. Hawk rolls his eyes, not even looking up to Mason. I clear my throat slightly, attempting to loosen the tension between them.

"I'm gonna start making dinner," I state, and Mason gets up from my bed.

"I'll help," he says, following me out of my room. The second we're far enough away from Hawk, Mason begins talking.