Chapter 55: DTR is Hard

Mason

I quickly slide my phone into my pocket, and practically jump down the stairs. I make my way over to the kitchen, grabbing a granola bar from the cupboard -shoving the majority of it in my mouth- and walking to the front door.

"Where're you going in such a hurry?" I hear Amber ask from the living room. I roll my eyes, slipping my running shoes on.

"Brandon's," I reply, tying the laces of my shoes. I hear Amber's foot steps come closer to me, and I see her legs in my peripheral vision.

"You've been spending an awful lot of time with him," she says, a sly tone in her voice. I groan, standing up to meet her gaze.

"So?" I question, cocking a brow at her. Amber huffs slightly, shaking her head.

"So, are you gonna tell me about it?" She persists, giving me a stern look. I laugh, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Nope," I answer flatly, and Amber's mouth falls open.

"And why not?" She asks -also crossing her arms. I sigh, annoyed by her attitude.

"Cause I don't want to," I state, reaching behind me for the doorknob. "Now, goodbye." I snatch the keys to Dad's car and throw the door open, stepping outside, and leaving Amber standing in the entranceway -a sour expression on her face.

I slide into the drivers seat of my Dad's car, and turn on the ignition, pulling out of the driveway. Maybe Amber's right. Maybe I have been spending a lot of time with Brandon, but it doesn't matter. That's what you're supposed to do when you like someone, at least I think. I mean, it's not like we're in an official relationship, but we've gone on dates and hung out a lot.

I sigh, turning the music up louder and concentrating on the road in front of me. It doesn't take long for me to get to Brandon's house, a little less than what it is to Hawk's, so I'm used to it. Brandon's currently living at home since his year at university ended. He's trying to find an apartment to live in, even though he's going to school again in the fall -against his wishes. It took a lot of convincing, but his parents finally made him see that he should continue with university, especially since he's already put in two years.

I pull up to the curb of Brandon's house, and park the car. I make my way up to the front door, and knock, waiting for Brandon. The door opens after a few moments to reveal Brandon clad in a pair of blue jeans and a red T-shirt.

"Hey," he greets, giving me a small hug. He backs away from the door -letting me inside- and leads me up the stairs to his room. His hand finds mine, and our fingers interlock. A giddy feeling of butterflies enters my stomach at this, like always. I both love and loathe this feeling. It's nice, but it also makes me feel like I might throw up. Plus it makes me all blushy and nervous.

I sit down on the edge of Brandon's bed, him sitting down after me. He wraps his arms around my neck from behind, gently pulling me down on top of him. I rest my head against his chest, the sound of his heartbeat resonating through my head.

Brandon's fingertips slide into my hair, playing with the strands on my forehead.

"This is nice," I mumble, peering up slightly at Brandon. He nods, a small smile spreading across his lips.

"Yeah, it is," he agrees, pressing a soft kiss to the top of my head. I turn over, so that I can clearly see Brandon.

"Can I ask you something?" I say, and Brandon nods.

"Of course, anything," he states, urging me to go on. I take a moment to breathe before saying anything else, knowing that I'll mess up if I don't.