Chapter 48: Stars

Mason

I anxiously peer down at my phone for the time. Brandon's supposed to be picking me up for our date in about ten minutes. And I'm kind of freaking out.

Sure I still want to go out with him, I just don't know how to act on dates. I mean, I've never been on a date before, and I don't even know if I entirely like Brandon or not. Romantically of course. I definitely like him as a friend.

I'd had over a week to mentally prepare myself for tonight, but for some reason I can't ease my nerves. Which fucking sucks, 'cause if this is how date's feel, then I'd honestly rather be in my room watching anime.

I adjust the collar on my jacket, waiting for Brandon's car to pull into the driveway any minute.

Right. My outfit. My entire family had some kind of input on what I should wear, and that just stressed me out more. Brooke thought I should dress more elegantly, but I quickly denied her. The twins -with their fucked up minds- thought it'd be a good idea to dress me up like some kind of kinky gay boy. That was a definite no. And Amber decided to make me look like a sailor of some kind. Also a no.

Which why I'm wearing a dark green T-shirt, a black bomber jacket, black jeans, and my sneakers. Brandon said that this date would be casual, so I figured this outfit would be okay.

I almost jump out of my skin when the doorbell rings. I quickly get off of the couch and walk over to it. I open the door to reveal Brandon standing there, looking very handsome. His hair is more slicked back than usual, accenting his facial features nicely. He's wearing a pair of loose blue jeans, a grey T-shirt, a leather jacket, and Converse. Silver chains circle his neck, matching his piercings.

"Hey," he greets, a mild awkwardness to his words when he sees my parents staring at him from behind me. I peer over to them and clear my throat, willing them to go away. But they don't.

"Brandon," my Dad says first. "So good to see you!"

"Would you like to come inside?" My Mom asks nicely, an almost painfully bright smile on her face. Brandon gives a look of slight bewilderment, asking me what he should do. I roll my eyes, knowing my parents won't let us leave without a short conversation.

"Come inside," I give in, moving away from the door, allowing Brandon to come in. This whole situation wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't told my parents about this date. But, I made the mistake of doing so when they asked if I was free for tonight. And my idiot self didn't think to lie about what I'd be doing.

We all walk into the living room, Brandon and I sitting on the couch -a friendly distance away from each other- and my parents in the chairs beside it.

The silence in the room is very awkward, and I can't help but feel embarrassed by this situation.

"Mason," my Mom begins. "Could you help me with something in the kitchen?" I narrow my eyes.

"If you're getting me to leave so that Dad will interrogate Brandon, I'm not gonna," I state simply, raising an eyebrow to her. My parents share a look of mock disbelief.

"We would never do that," my Dad says, but I'm not convinced. "And anyways, I just wanted to know your plans for this evening." I peer over at Brandon, seeing if he'll actually answer or not. And, surprisingly, he does.

"Well, I thought a movie, and then dinner after, would be good," he says, giving my Dad a sheepish smile. I stand up from the couch.

"We're leaving now," I explain, and Brandon follows me. I hear slight protests from my parents, but they stop when I send them a glare. I'm sure they're just looking out for me. But damn, do they have to be so embarrassing?