Chapter 47: The Lake House

Melanie

Nervous. That's the only word I could use to describe my feelings right now. I'd invited Amber to stay with me at my family's lake house this weekend. Even though it's still too cold to actually swim in the lake, it'll be a romantic place for Amber and I to spend some time alone. Which we've never done before, which is also why I'm a little nervous.

Amber's been so busy with school lately, that this weekend is about the only time she's free for the next month. Which sucks, 'cause I'd like to do more than just FaceTime with my girlfriend.

I sling my duffel bag over my shoulder, and walk downstairs. Since Amber doesn't have a car, it means that I'm driving. That also means that I'm going to have to pick her up. Luckily, she's at home, so I don't have to go to her university campus.

I throw my bag into the trunk of my car, then make my way over to the drivers side, sliding into the front seat. I press the start button, buckle my seatbelt, and back out of my driveway.

It'd taken a lot of convincing to get my parents to allow Amber and I to stay at the lake house alone. I mean, I completely understand why they didn't want us to. But my parents trust me. And even though I don't want to admit it, we'd probably end up having sex somewhere else this weekend. At least now there won't be any distractions.

I pull into the driveway of the Cole household, and exit the car, walking up to the front door. I knock twice on the door, and am greeted by Mason. Great.

"Hey," he says, a look of slight confusion on his face. "What're you doing here?" I gulp, feeling myself growing increasingly awkward.

"I'm here for Amber," I state, a sheepish smile spreading across my face. I see Amber walk up behind Mason, carrying a bag of her own. Mason turns and looks at Amber, then grimaces slightly when he sees her bag.

"I don't even want to know," Mason says, leaving Amber and I alone. Amber smiles at me, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"Ready to go?" I ask, excitement evident in my tone. She nods, stepping outside and closing the door.

"I can't wait! I didn't even know your family owned a house on the lake," Amber exclaims, walking beside me to my car. I open the trunk for her to put her stuff in, and nod.

"Yeah, we've had it since I was a kid," I explain. "And I'm so glad I can share it with you." I lean over and give Amber a peck on the lips, a blush spreading across her cheeks at my action.

"Lets go," I say, laughing under my breath. We get into the car and begin driving. The lake is only about an hour and a half away, so it's not that far. The drive up there is actually quite nice. It's filled with lots of forest scenery, and plus since the sun is shining so brightly today, it makes it extra nice.

The conversation between Amber and I has been light, with a nice comfort to it. I find Amber so easy to talk to. We just sort of understand each other in ways that are hard to explain. It's almost as if our souls are connected somehow.

Before I even realize it, I'm pulling into the driveway of my family's lake house. The house is fairly large, with a grey and white exterior. The house sits right on the lake, and has a private beach in the back that is only shared between the other houses along this road.

Amber and I get out of the car and grab our things from the trunk. Since we're going to be here for two days, I decided to bring along some food and drinks. This place is pretty close to town, but it'd still be nice to have some food in the house. Especially if we get hungry late at night when basically all of the restaurants and stores are closed.