Chapter 29: Sicknesses Can Suck it

Hawk

"100.5, you should stay in bed and rest. I'll call the school and bring you up some orange juice," my Mom says, looking at the small thermometer in her hand. I let my head fall back against my pillow, trying not to think of the upset feeling in my stomach. My Mom leaves the room, closing the door slowly. I peer over at my nightstand where my phone is sitting. What am I going to do? Today's Friday -Valentines Day- and I'm sick. This is like the worst possible thing that could've happened today, and now Jayden and I can't see each other tonight. 

"Here, honey," my Mom says, setting a glass of orange juice down onto my nightstand. "I have to leave for work, but if you need anything just call me." With that she kisses me forehead, pulls my comforter up to my chin, and leaves the room. 

I try to fall asleep again, but as soon as I'm even halfway there, I hear my phone bing. I unsteadily pick up the small device, seeing a text from Jayden on the small screen. 

Why aren't you at school?

I reach my other hand out from under the warmth of my blankets and send him a reply explaining that I'm sick. I just let my phone sit beside me on the bed, not wanting to continue having to reach over every time I get an alert to check it. I expect to see another message from Jayden, but nothing comes up. So, after awhile I just give up, drink some of the orange juice, and somehow manage to fall asleep. 

I groan, rubbing my face after waking up. I look over at my clock and see that I was only asleep for twenty minutes. I had gotten woken up by the sound on my phone and the vibration I felt on my chest from it. I turn on the device, and stare at the screen; another text from Jayden. 

I'm at your front door, let me in

I read the message once, twice, then a third time just to make sure my eyes aren't playing a trick on me. But even when I turn my phone off and on again, the message is still there. I slowly sit up from my bed, pausing for a moment to make sure I don't throw up, and make my way over to my door. I shiver slightly as I walk, so I grab a blanket off the end of my bed and wrap it around myself. 

Once I finally reach the front door and open it, I see Jayden standing there. He's clad in his winter jacket, brown work boots, black jeans, and a blue flannel peeking out around his neck. I stare at him for a few seconds, deciphering whether or not this is a mind trick as well. 

"Are you gonna let me in?" Jayden questions, raising an eyebrow to me. I don't say a word, just step back a few feet to let him come inside. 

"Cat got your tongue?" He jokes, putting his coat into the closet and taking off his boots. 

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at school?" I finally ask. Jayden turns around to look at me, a grin playing on his lips.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" He counters, and I roll my eyes. 

"You were the one who was at my door, what else was I supposed to do?" I reply, walking over to the living room to sit down on the couch. Jayden follows me, each of us sitting at an end of the piece of furniture. 

"I wanted to keep you company, and besides, I don't learn anything at school anyway," Jayden says, and I give him as much of a glare as I can muster. 

"Alright, alright, I figured that you wouldn't be able to come over tonight, so I figured I'd just come over now."

"But I'm sick," I try to reason, but this only makes him chuckle slightly. 

"Yeah, that's why I'm here, to take care of you," he answers, moving closer to me on the couch. 

"But you'll get sick," I try to reason once more.