Chapter 57: Tension

Melanie

"Ooh, this would be perfect for when I go to Paris," I exclaim, peering down at my laptop, clothes scattered across the screen. "Don't you think?" Amber looks up from her phone beside me, her gaze falling to the beige and grey striped blazer.

"Yeah, definitely," she states, and I smile, adding the jacket to my cart. My eyes catch a long, flowy, lavender dress, and I practically squeal.

"I need this," I mutter, immediately adding the item to my cart. "Who knows when I might attend a formal party?"

I look over at Amber, who's silence is unnerving me. I notice a slight frown to her features, and my eyebrows furrow.

"What's wrong?" I question, and her frown quickly fades into -what I assume to be- a mock smile.

"Nothing," Amber says, her voice filled with false happiness. My face grows serious, annoyed by her antics.

"Why are you lying to me?" I ask, hurt evident in my tone. Amber sighs, her gaze avoiding mine ever so slightly.

"It's just," she begins, her fingers fiddling with her phone. "All you seem to talk about lately is Paris."

"Well, yeah, it's only a month and a half away," I state, but that only seems to make things worse.

"Exactly! It's like you can't wait to leave," Amber counters, and my mouth falls open.

"How could you say that? You know how much of a dream come true this opportunity is for me! Why can't you just be happy for me?"

"Because I know you're leaving soon!" Amber shouts, and the room grows silent.

"What?" Is all I can manage to get out. Amber hesitates, knowing she's crossed a line.

"I don't want you to leave. It hurts me too much knowing that the love of my life is going to be across a fucking ocean," Amber admits, and I'm stunned.

"So, what? You want me to stay? Well, that's not gonna happen, okay? I'm sorry that I'm leaving, but this could be my one chance at doing something that I actually care about," I explain, and -to my surprise- Amber nods.

"I know, and that's why I hate feeling like this," she says, and a pang of sympathy hits my heart. "I just can't imagine not seeing you everyday." I sigh.

"Yeah, I've been dreading not seeing you too," I say, not knowing what to do next. The room is silent until something dawns on me.

"How long have you felt this way?" I question, and Amber hesitates. "How long?" I persist. Amber's face contorts with guilt, and I turn my head not to look at her.

"Basically since you told me you were going," she explains, and my stomach knots instantly. I stand up from my bed, running my hands through my hair. Tears begin to pool in my eyes, slowly dripping down my cheeks.

"You've known for that long? And you didn't decide to say anything before?" I mumble, my heartbreaking slightly.

"It's not that long," Amber replies. I flick my head in her direction, anger boiling inside of me.

"Not that long? It's more than two fucking months, Amber!" I shout, startling the brunette before me. Amber shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, I know I should've mentioned it before, but there wasn't any time," she pleads, and I scoff.

"Really? 'Cause I can remember us hanging out an awful lot, so why didn't you say something before? We could have worked something out, and now... I don't know," I say, the tears staining my cheeks. Amber gets up, and steps towards me.