14🔴Night Changes

Emerald trudged down to the forbidden forest where she was supposed to meet Hagrid and Draco, the February air nipping at her ears as she pulled her jacket tighter around her. Even though it was bitterly cold she couldn't help but feel relieved that she wasn't in one of Umbitch's torture sessions.She couldn't wait to write to her father.

"I see you've finally decided to show up" Malfoy said grumpily, crossing his arms at her

"Better late than never" she shot back, they'd barely spoken since that day at Malfoy Manor and honestly neither one of them knew quite how to act around the other.

She didn't know how invested he was in the Dark Lords work ,She herself found his beliefs to be painfully outdated and shallow, something she never got tired of telling her father. He was less strong willed than her and had decided to head the villain out

One thing was for sure though, if Draco turned out anything like his father it would break her heart.

Emerald took notice of the dark bags under the blonde boy's eyes, making his blue eyes shine even more, he had also changed his attire, swapping his dark coloured sweatshirts and jeans for dark shirts and smart trousers, a combination of which made him look older ,more beaten down but still just as handsome. The pang of guilt returned as she realised just how much of a toll the Dark Lord had had on him.

"Youse will be lookin for old unicorn 'orns" Hagrid spoke "remember don't spilt up an put any youse find in the bag, very useful for potions those things" he finished " I'll come an find youse when the hour is up"

"Yes Hagrid" she spoke confidently before striding off into the forest competently without even looking behind to see if Draco was following her, wanting to get this over and done with, as soon as possible.

Draco paused hesitantly while Hagrid chuckled to himself
" utterly fearless that one" he laughed before swinging the bag of dead weasels over his shoulder, striding away to feed the Thestrals.

Draco took a deep breath and followed Emerald's footsteps cautiously ,he could hear her laughing and singing to herself, causing the corners of his mouth to twitch up slightly despite his discomfort.

He never did quite get over that detention in first year with Potter, he didn't like it then and he most certainly didn't like it now.

"Emerald, for Merlin's sake wait up" he called slightly out of breath comming to a clearing when the sight before him made him stop dead in his tracks

In a large clearing in the trees was Emerald, surrounded by glowing fairies as she laughed and danced along with the creatures, Malfoy's breath caught in his throat, the moonlight bounced off her brown locks ,her eyes shone with happiness, he was mesmerised.

She was the epitome of perfection, she was strong, loyal, determined and oh merlin was she stubborn, he couldn't imagine her any other way, but aside from all those things she was also caring and sweet, though neither of them would ever admit that they saw it that way.He saw the way she was with Blaise and Pansy - fiercely protective and ready to go to hell and back for them.She was brilliant.

Completely ,utterly, wholesomely brilliant

"Come on Grumplestliltskin, join in" her voice broke him out of his thoughts and he shook his head before shuffling his feet over to her knowing she wouldn't take no for an answer.

She held her hand out to him and he twirled her round hesitantly, he knew he shouldn't be doing this, he needed to focus on fixing that bloody cabinet but he knew in that moment he couldn't walk away even if he tried. He stared at her as she let go of his hand and started spinning round along with the fairies, a small smile etching its way onto his face.