"That was brutal," Gath groaned as they walked to the library to rest before dinner. "But what the general said was pretty scary. Who do you think was chosen?"

"Me, of course," Nagan replied tiredly. "He was looking directly at me while he said it."

Milora and Az shared an uneasy glance before Milora turned to Nagan. "What if the general had something to do with it? Like a plot to get rid of you?"

"I doubt it," he said with a snort. "It's not like the Council doesn't know my name already. They were always interested in my time magic."

"It's as if you're more of a weapon to them than an actual person," Milora declared hotly before shaking her head and muttering, "No one deserves to be treated that way."

A wave of guilt washed over Nagan as he remembered his words before the flight lesson. "About that..." he began. "I've been meaning to tell you—"

"No need." She bumped him with her shoulder and smiled up at him. "But if it happens too many more times, I'll send Dockard on you. I don't like it when you talk as if you deserved everything that happened."

He returned the smile, but soon the moment was disrupted by a chanting voice in the background.

"Nagan and Milora, sitting in a tree—"

Nagan glared incredulously at Gath. "Are you serious?" His head whipped back to Milora as she began to laugh, soon joined by Az. "Don't encourage him!"

"You know he's just trying to get a row out of you," Milora said while trying to hide her giggling behind her hand. Az, on the other hand, made no move to muffle his guffaws.

"And he's about to learn what it feels like for his eyes to be stuck in between his toes."

Gath quickly backpedaled as Nagan stepped towards him, moving to hide behind Az, yet he refused to cease his chanting. Milora held onto Nagan's arm and pulled him away to continue walking, leaving the other two laughing behind them.

"Just leave them," she hummed. "If anything, they're embarrassing themselves."

"You hear that?" Nagan called back to the stragglers. "You're both an embarrassment to society."

"The only one embarrassed here is you," Az called back with a grin, dragging Gath behind him as they caught up. Another laugh burst from Milora at that.

"I hate you all, and I hope you know that."

This only caused his friends to laugh harder, but Nagan found himself smiling despite the redness of his cheeks.

They found a corner of the library upon arrival and continued to chat for nearly an hour. Milora and Gath sat in armchairs, Nagan laid across the couch, and Az was sprawled on the rug face down. No one questioned it.

They were just about to head to the Great Hall to line up when Nagan felt a familiar magic presence approaching. Glancing to the side from where he stared at the ceiling, he spotted Professor Fai lumbering towards them, feet dragging slightly. He barely had time to move his legs before the professor sat heavily on the other end of the couch.

"Is he alright?" The professor vaguely motioned to Az on the floor.

Nagan shrugged. "He's fine."

"But are you alright, Professor?" Milora asked in concern. "You look...well..."

Gath, "Tired."

Nagan, "Irritated."

Az, without looking up, "Like death?"

Professor Fai grimaced. "Geez, none of you like to mince your words, do you?"

The students collectively shrugged, except for Az who propped himself up on his elbows to properly look at the professor.