Chapter 32

"I-I forg-g-got how-w mu—much it-it-it-it rain-rained in th-the sou—th," Aitor grimaced as he walked through a puddle, infinitely grateful for waterproof boots.

"I know right?" Gath complained. "And we even had to stop at three more towns! South Tarkon is gonna hate us by the time we get to the main camp. Are we—"

"Look around and answer that question yourself," Carthadeus snapped, his hands tightening around the reins of his horse. Nagan would've told him to 'get off his high horse,' but he got the feeling that Carthadeus probably wouldn't have appreciated the joke at that moment. It wasn't as if Carthadeus was the only one riding. All of them either got a horse or sat on the backs of their dragons.

Professor Fai rode alongside them for once instead of leading the charge or scouting above on Chenshui. "If it's any consolation to you, we should be there very soon."

"How soon is soon?" Az mused, asking the question more to get on Carthadeus' nerves rather than for an actual answer. There hadn't been much to do, anyway.

However, instead of answering, Professor Fai simply pointed ahead. The teens naturally looked forward. They were cresting over a hill, and just beyond they could see a mixture of tents, makeshift buildings, and fires, all within magically created stone walls. Dragons lined the edges, all under the command of protecting the hoard. The Council of Thirds' flags waved proudly in the sky.

This is nicer than I thought, the boys thought collectively.

"I need to let us in, but stay by the gate and set your dragons into the sky as scouts. You should meet Colonel Warven before doing anything else," Professor Fai said before urging his horse to go faster, leaving them behind.

"There's a Warven here?" Gath let out a low whistle. "I can't believe I'll actually meet all the major mage families in my lifetime. I mean, we already got an Elvar, Honoria, and Arcloven in the group. We met Master Totari a couple weeks ago, I saw Master Dagmire in passing before he left Carvolier...and now Colonel Warven. You high mages really get around."

Nagan snorted. "I don't know how I feel about that phrasing."

"That's not what I meant."

"Which Warven do you think it is?" Carthadeus asked Az, completely ignoring the minor conflict. "Do you think it's the middle, or the younger one?"

"I hope it's Jedan, honestly. But didn't Yevondi take over the company? Since Ulson kinda..."

Carthadeus sucked air through his teeth. "You're right. That did happen."

"Care to share with the poor group?" Nagan drawled.

"Those were the sons of the Warvens," Carthadeus explained. "Ulson was the oldest while Yevondi is after him and then Jedan—they have two younger sisters, but that's not essential to the conversation—so Yevondi and Jedan joined the army since Ulson was taking over the company, but then Ulson passed away suddenly a couple years ago. That means that Yevondi probably had to step back and take over the business himself."

"Jedan was the one who babysat us younger kids during parties before we were expected to converse with the adults," Az added.

Carthadeus snorted. "I'm pretty sure Jedan voluntarily took the responsibility to avoid just that."

"Oh, most definitely. But doesn't he have a water dragon?"

"That doesn't mean he can't be a Colonel on land."

"True..."

Aitor comically leaned over to Nagan and Gath despite making no attempt to soften his words. "W-Was that s-s-sup-p-posed to-to cl—clarif-fy a-a-any—anything-g?"