Chapter 24

It didn't take too long for them to reach their first camp; they had ridden their dragons for longer in training. Either way, it still left them sore and wanting to actually walk for a change. They were glad (for now) to hear that they'll be walking for the rest of the journey.

"So, what are we doing with the dragons?" Gath asked as they moved from the landing area to where a caravan was being formed. There was an oddly dark yet luxurious carriage amidst the carts, they noticed, but none piped up to question it.

"It depends." Professor Fai shrugged before elaborating. "While on the path, it'll be too narrow for the larger dragons to fly up through the trees, so more than likely they'll be pulling the carts. The smaller dragons will be sent on lookout with at least one experienced scout with them. That's not including you guys. You'll be staying on the ground. Refer to the distance procedures."

Nagan grimaced. "Ravi and I haven't gotten the hang of that yet."

Ravi warbled in agreement.

"You can't be a prodigy in everything, Nagan," Carthadeus noted mildly.

Nagan only rolled his eyes. "I'm aware, thank you very much, but I meant that as a segway into asking what Ravi should be doing, then."

"Wait, that's not what I..." No one seemed to hear the words die in Carthadeus' throat.

"P-p-protec—tion?"

"Precisely," Professor Fai said, nodding his head to Aitor. "Amphitheres have excellent mobility, so she'll be helpful enough on the ground and may be able to carry smaller loads."

By this time, they had reached the caravan, trying to stay out of the way of bustling workers and soldiers. Cart upon cart was filled with supplies, from food to bandages to weapons. There weren't as many dragons as the teens expected, but that made sense since most Dragonmages were sent to the front along the Sa'aremak border. They were simply students, and Professor Fai was there to make sure they didn't die.

A grim thought, but very true, Nagan commented internally, only watching silently as a man approached the professor.

"Captain Fai," the man saluted, "it's good to see you've returned to your position."

Captain? the teens thought.

"No thanks to a certain general. I would rather be where I'm needed." The professor sighed. "But I'm needed here now, I suppose. Status report."

"We are almost ready to set off. Just a few more things need to be loaded, sir."

"Excellent. Who's in charge?"

"Besides you, that will be me." The man held out his hand. "Lieutenant Kipp Larksong, at your service."

Professor Fai shook Larksong's hand firmly before motioning to the teens behind him. "Let me introduce you to your new Dragonmages: Sergeant Carthadeus Honoria, Second Sergeant Nagan Elvar and Privates Icarion Arcloven, Gathen Farvell, and Aitor Raumalaude. They've recently completed their training in Carvolier."

Larksong nodded his head at the teens. "Younger than I thought, but I heard some big family names in there. I trust you're ready for duty?"

"Yes, sir," the teens chorused.

"Good." Larksong gave one last nod and a salute to Professor Fai. "I'll be around making last checks, but I'm sure you've already been given your assignments?"

The teens gave Professor Fai curious looks--they have not been told exactly what they're doing--but the professor only nodded and waved Larksong off. With that, the man disappeared amongst the carts.