Chapter 25

A couple weeks had passed since leaving Carvolier, but the teen had already sent a few letters back to Milora. She was still part of their group, after all, and they knew she would send letters back, even though they wouldn't receive them until they reached their assigned camp near the Tarkon border.

The sky was bleaker than usual. Grey and angry dark clouds loomed ahead, and scouts had already been sent to look for shelter or a village willing to house them till the storm passed. That had been an hour ago.

Blaine joined them outside the carriage after Georgivus kicked him out with another tantrum, screaming about how he wanted more space to sleep. Aitor offered his horse to Blaine, at least, while he settled on Gossemar's back at the edges of the group. The poor man looked exhausted.

"I like to think this is how Honoria would've ended up if it weren't for being 'honorable,'" Nagan commented offhandedly after things had calmed down.

Carthadeus gave him a withering glare. "Excuse me?"

"You really can't deny it, you literally tried to attack me with a spell when you realized I beat your record." Nagan paused. "Except you actually had a bite to your bark."

"Are you trying to compliment me or insult me?"

"Both," Nagan and Az replied simultaneously.

Blaine laughed softly at their bickering. "Well, I suppose I could add some insight to Georgivus' behavior. He just hasn't adjusted yet."

"I d-don't th-th-think that-that's much o-of an—an excus-se. N-n-no offense."

"None taken, because I'll gladly agree with you." Blaine sighed, keeping his voice low so he couldn't be heard from inside the carriage. "My mother always scolds me on if I'm going to have this job, I should teach the royalty properly, but I'm too afraid I'll lose my job if I ever scolded Georgivus. My job is...the only thing keeping food on the table, to be frank." He glanced at the teens around him who casted curious glances. "I'm not sure how it is in mage communities, but I grew up where the expectation was that the women stay home to take care of the children while the men work—which I think is ludicrous. So after my father died, that left my mother and six children with nothing. Luckily, I was already far enough in my studies that I wasn't dropped due to a lack of tuition, and I was able to find work quite easily within the palace."

"Does your mother not have any skills?" Carthadeus asked, and Nagan almost slapped his forehead at the lack of tact and poor wording.

"He means employable skills," Az was quick to remedy.

Blaine laughed lightly. "I understood what he meant the first time, but thank you for the clarification. But the answer is no. She was pulled out of school once she learned to read and write in order to help with the household and younger children. It's a shame, though; she's the cleverest person I've ever met and would've made quite the politician if her opinions on government would ever be listened to."

"That...doesn't seem fair." Carthadeus' brow was furrowed and his lips pressed in a thin line.

"Nothing is fair, but it's less prominent in high mage society, I've noticed," Nagan added with no bite.

"Oh! I almost forgot you didn't grow up with mages!" Gath suddenly exclaimed. "You're not even from Tarkon."

"Nor could he read Tarkovish when he first arrived," Az commented under his breath.

"Stop spreading lies, Az, I could read Tarkovish but I wasn't very good at it. You still can't read Rakshu well, either."

Az raised his hands in surrender with a grin. "Touché."