Chapter 45

While the sky was still dark, there were telltale signs of the morning in the air. Birds began to sing, the night became lighter, and Fai could even hear the cooks begin preparations for breakfast.

Fai didn't sleep at all that night. Instead, he silently stood watch over the four remaining teens, all managing to fall into a deep sleep in their cots. Az and Nagan were woken up earlier by the medics, however. They had developed fevers due to their infections.

"I can't imagine the stress they went through helped any," he remembered the medic saying after giving the two teens a mild sleeping draught, lulling them back to sleep quickly. "Their wounds will heal fine, but..."

The medic only shook her head and walked away after that. Fai didn't need to hear the rest of it, however. He knew what she was trying to say.

Fai turned his head as the infirmary's tent flap moved to the side, more out of curiosity to see who was entering, only to tense where he sat. He locked eyes with the last person he wanted here. Without any warning, he stood and strode over to the visitor, keeping his rage in check. The last thing he wanted was for his kids to wake up and see the man who cared nothing for them.

Rorric Dagmire stopped and blinked in surprise as Fai approached. "Good to see you well, Fai. I was not expecting you to be here. I was told Nagan and the others were here—"

"You come with me," Fai seethed under his breath, giving Rorric no room but to turn around. "Out."

Rorric gave a resigned sigh, almost as if he was expecting this to happen, and followed Fai's request to get out. Once they were outside, Fai began leading him toward the back of the camp. Not once did Rorric question where they were going, only passively following Fai through the morning crowd. It wasn't dense enough for him to lose sight of Professor Fai, but there were enough people for rumors to spread quickly. Whispers traveled among them, and those close enough saluted to the general.

Fai then marched up to a larger tent, flinging the flap aside and not bothering to hold it aside for Rorric. Rorric brushed the fabric aside to step inside. He was met with a desk covered with reports. At a glance, it looked as if the desk was just as disorganized as he was, but he then spotted an odd pattern in the documents. Some were lined up while others sat in neat piles. Some even had ink slashes through them as if whoever did it disagreed with what was written. It took a moment for him to realize whose desk they stared at. Nonetheless, Rorric didn't ask why they were in Meixong's tent. Instead, he waited for the once-combat professor of Carvolier to speak first. And speak he did.

"Are you proud of yourself? Sacrificing the school and your students along with it?" Fai began, venom lacing his tone.

"Fai, I know you're angry—"

Fai cut him off with a bark of laughter. "Angry? Anger doesn't cover the half of what I'm feeling right now. Anguish, guilt, fury I suppose. And I'm not seeing any of that from you!"

Rorric flinched back as Fai roared at him, a little stunned that the professor had lost his temper so quickly. He set his expression to neutrality soon after, however.

"I suggest you calm yourself, Fai. I am still your superior, both as a general and as the Headmaster of Carvolier, and I do not appreciate being spoken to in such a way."

"And you still dare claim the title of Headmaster? Carvolier doesn't even exist as a school anymore!" Fai gritted his teeth as he took a few steps toward Rorric. "You can't brainwash me like the Council has done to you! By the gods, Rorric, haven't you ever had a backbone in your life?"

Rorric set his jaw. "Excuse me?"

"You hear me loud and clear. This isn't the first time you've done this, either. Don't you dare deny it!"