Chapter 33

"What was that commotion over there?" Professor Fai asked when they finally crossed the distance.

"Just a minor argument, nothing out of the ordinary," Carth said before Nagan could open his mouth. He didn't need to turn around to know the other was either scowling or smirking, both of which were not ideal. "Where to next? Are we meeting Colonel Warven first?"

"That's what I said, didn't I?" Professor Fai turned and began walking deeper into the camp, trusting that the several sets of footsteps following him were the kids. "Mostly because I honestly have no idea what they're going to do with all of you. I was only told to get you and the supplies to the south."

"What?!" Nagan exclaimed. "They didn't tell you anything?"

"You'd be surprised how much I don't know." Professor Fai didn't bother keeping the resentment from his voice. "I have a better title than most, but the bottom line is, they don't like me. Just because I'm in charge of the 18th company—your company and anyone else who comes out of Carvolier—doesn't mean I'm privy to information I should know."

The teens didn't know what to say to that. Yes, they saw the fights between Professor Fai and General Byteron back at Carvolier, but the rest of the soldiers seemed to like the professor.

Well, Wyvet and Qentor liked him, Nagan noted to himself. Never really saw much of the other ones.

They didn't have to say anything, however, as Professor Fai waved over a soldier walking by. A private, the teens deduced, judging by the insignia on the cloak. Not a Dragonmage, but a mage nonetheless. For Carth and Nagan, it felt odd to be of a higher rank than a man at least half a decade older than them.

"Yes, sir?" the young man asked.

"Do you know if Colonel Warven is available to speak? I'm sure he's a busy man, but I need to report the arrival of the supplies he requested."

"Oh! Yes, in fact, my sergeant just got done speaking with him. He should be available, but I can run ahead and inform him of your arrival, Captain Fai."

Professor Fai waved him off. "No need, thank you. Continue on with your business."

The man saluted before doing just that, but not before sparing a glance at the teens behind the professor. The man minutely raised his brow in question before spotting the insignia on Carth and Nagan's uniforms. His eyes widened before saluting the two of them as well, a little less precise than the one he gave to Fai, before hurrying away.

"Get used to that," Professor Fai said, amused when he saw Carth and Nagan's bewildered reactions. "You're sergeants, so you'll get saluted by the more formal ones."

"Should...we start saluting them, or..." Gath began.

"I don't see a need for it among your group. You all know each other, and it's not as if any power struggles are going on, even between the two of you." Professor Fai directed the last part at the two sergeants. "As far as I'm concerned, you know who your superiors are. Just remember to keep things formal if any of you are ever shifted into other groups."

"Is there a real possibility of us being separated?" Milora asked worriedly.

"Not at the moment. You may be put into larger groups, however, where a lieutenant is in charge. But I don't see a reason why you would be separated. Each of you were hand chosen, work well together, and are honestly the perfect squadron. Two drakons, two dwarns, two elvas, and your placements consist of one stealth, a medic, two combatants, and two messengers. I do have some pointers when it comes to adding Milora to the mix, however."

They all weaved in and out between tents and groups of soldiers. Some were jolly, some were solemn, and others looked dead tired. Nagan didn't think he looked any better than the weary ones. They had been near-constantly on the move for the better part of a month, and before that, it was intense training to make sure they were ready to join the war.