Chapter 9

The two teams barely made it into the foliage before Nagan could no longer hold the spell, and Az was by his side to catch him when he collapsed in exhaustion. Seeing how one member was unfit to continue, the messenger and three other people from Team Five began setting up protective barriers while Carthadeus chanted a silencing bubble. As long as they stayed relatively still, the dragons looming near them wouldn't see them. Judging by the sounds just past the treeline, it seemed the other students had joined the fight.

"I just need a couple minutes," Nagan said when he caught his breath enough to speak, attempting to brush Az's hand off his shoulder. He relented when the other wordlessly refused by tightening his grip. "I'll recover as we go as long as we don't plan on sprinting through the woods as well."

"Please, no." The messenger huffed out a laugh. "I don't think our teams can handle that, myself included."

"So that's how it feels to be in one of your time spells." Carthadeus glanced back the way they came before continuing in a more amused tone. "Now I've witnessed all three perspectives."

Nagan snorted. "That's not a privilege."

Carthadeus opened his mouth to quip back before abruptly clicking it shut, leaving the atmosphere awkwardly silent.

"It's not," he confessed a few seconds later. "And it was wrong of me for saying those things in the first place. I definitely deserved that punch to the face."

More silence followed, and Nagan couldn't help but gape in shock. It wasn't quite an apology, but it was close to one, especially when it's coming from an Honoria. Perhaps it was because he knew they would be working together in the future, but Nagan found himself nodding back.

The other team's captain coughed.

"While we're catching our breaths," he said, "why don't we introduce ourselves a bit? Not just names, though. Maybe add base magic, specialties, chosen area of study, stuff like that. Just to pass the time, and probably to know our strengths."

Carthadeus scoffed. "What are we, first years?"

"Just humor me," the other captain said tiredly.

"I'm Icarion Azaruis Arcloven II," Az began. "I'm an elva and am working towards potion master and infiniti, but I don't know my affinity yet, unfortunately."

"Are we seriously doing this?"

"Nagania Elvar, but just call me Nagan. Base magic is drakon, and I'm a caster, combat expert, and Time Mage." He gave a pointed look at Carthadeus, earning him a stubborn scowl.

"Everyone knows who I am, why do I need to say anything?"

"Milora Seneca Ollengard," the messenger piped up. "I'm a dwarn and want to become a chanter. I discovered later last year I somewhat had an affinity to light, but only gathering a small bit of it to do my bidding. Like shaping it into a bird to send messages."

"So that's why you're a messenger," the captain said, and Milora confirmed it with a nod and a smile. "Well, my name is Gath. Gathen Farvell. But just Gath is fine. I'm also a dwarn, and I'm going for dragon expert. Nothing too fancy about me."

The rest of Gath's team introduced themselves. Two other dwarns and two elvas.

"We must have been the last chosen for getting no drakons," Gath joked.

Meanwhile, Nagan continued to stare at Carthadeus with an unimpressed expression until the other snapped.

"Fine! Carthadeus Reylark Honoria, drakon, chanter, rune drawer, dragon expert. Happy?"

"It's a start," Nagan replied mildly before turning away from the fuming Carthadeus to Gath. "So what's our strategy for this? The other teams are ahead of us, but I also haven't heard anything from them."

He looked to Milora who shook her head.

"Professor Fai did say we need to communicate, so hearing nothing means no one has a plan. Send a message out asking them, just in case."

With a nod, she conjured a sparrow, murmured a few words to it, and set it off in a streak of light. "It will come back with their replies, just in case they can't send one back themselves."

"Perfect. While we're still waiting, I had an idea while we were introducing ourselves." He looked to Cathadeus, silently asking permission to continue. He was made captain after all, but he only rolled his eyes and waved his hand, indicating Nagan to continue.

"Most of the mages in Carvolier were called to the war, leaving mediocres," began Nagan. "Maybe they have a few spell crystals, but they're practically defenseless against a dragon. So I think we should put three teams in charge of getting the townspeople deeper into the cliffs — those with the most dwarns and elvas — while the other two distract and hopefully take down the dragon. The three teams should stay with the people, but we could have them on standby in case the ones fighting the dragon need help."

"Our team will definitely be one guarding the townspeople," Gath said, his team nodding in agreement.

"Don't get too excited, we still haven't heard from the rest of them," Carthadeus chided. "But don't get me wrong, Nagan's plan is decent considering we only have our abilities to rely on and it's incredibly simple. Working with two or three teams would be easier than all five."

He thought about it for a second before turning to Milora. "Send another bird. I doubt anyone else has a better plan besides charging in and doing what they can. That, and they're all terrible when working under pressure. Tell them to send a report about their base magics and any relevant abilities."

She nodded her head firmly and began conjuring another sparrow. "On it."