Chapter 10

"Teams One and Two have offered to stay behind with the townspeople, and all agree with the plan," Milora reported once all sparrows had returned to her.

"Finally," Carthadeus groaned. "It took forever for Team Two to understand what was going on. Whoever their captain is certainly isn't the brightest."

Gath cringed. "That's a bit harsh... I'm sure they're plenty capable."

Carthadeus only rolled his eyes.

"What's the plan now?" Az piped up, trying to draw the attention back to the task at hand. "Doesn't Team Three have a way to set up a permanent connection? It'll be easier to communicate in real-time rather than working through Milora."

"It's like we're the only ones doing any work around here," Carthadeus sighed irritably. "Send one last sparrow and tell them to start pulling their weight."

"In those words...?"

"No," Az cut in. "Phrase it nicely, please."

Milora thought about it for a second before sending her last sparrow. She will be needing the rest of her magic for barriers after this.

It was a few minutes later when a mirage shimmered in the air, showing the faces of the other team captains.

"You better make this quick, Honoria," the captain of Team Three snapped. "The longer we wait, the more people are hurt or even killed."

"Then calm down, Silvina. Your messenger can keep up real-time communications for a while right?"

Another face popped into view. "I can. I can do it for thirty minutes while moving, but after that, I'll need to keep still and conserve energy."

"Then don't even bother moving," Carthadeus huffed. "Maybe you should go with the teams protecting the people. Ask one of them to send a drakon or someone who might be helpful with fighting a dragon."

"I believe Team One has someone who can create tethered bindings," a member of Gath's team piped up.

"Then get them to switch. We can sort that out once the townspeople are safe." A roar echoed nearby, and Carthadeus began talking in haste. "Open up all connections to the other teams. Got it? Ok, listen up everyone, here's the plan. What, do you have anything better? That's what I thought. Now silence! Team Two, you're towards the East where the dragon is. Use that cloaking ability you mentioned. Team Three, the North. Team One, the West and South. Team Four will assist Team Two while running South to the bridges. We have the time mage—"

Silvina interjected, "Just say Nagan. We all know who the time mage is."

"—and Team Five will guard the bridges that lead below. Any other useful abilities for protection are free to join in when their teams clear their area. Once all denizens are safe, I'll explain the second part of the plan. Any questions? No? Good. Let's go."