Chapter 46

Nagan finished up taking care of Ravi's wing after taking care of Kint's

Nagan finished up taking care of Ravi's wing after taking care of Kint's. Aitor and Milora went ahead—they all stayed in the same tent anyway—once they were done with their own dragons. The next few days would be an odd one for them, after all, and he needed to take care of his squadron.

After the dragons arrived back, Colonel Warven informed him that he would be responsible for burning the shrouds of Carth and Gath during the memorial. Nagan had always been aware of these memorial services held for the soldiers, letting the fallen be sent away with honors, but it was never something he thought he would ever do. Not until he made the rank of lieutenant, at least.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a group of dragons flying toward them from the horizon. Nothing unusual considering the amount of Dragonmages stationed in the camp—usually the smaller or dragons not geared towards battles—but it was the glint of gold that caught his attention. Sainanak glided down with all the grace the lung dragons possessed. Three other dragons followed, but Nagan recognized none of them.

General Meixong is back? Ravi asked, also noticing the dragons in the sky.

Nagan shrugged, turning back to continue dressing Ravi's wing. Something flashed through his mind, some type of feeling or thought, but it was gone before he could identify what it was. "They're probably here for the memorial. Maybe they couldn't spare many officers, so they sent General Meixong back to conduct the ceremony."

Ravi hummed in agreement, lowering her head and resting it on her tail as she curled around herself further. All the while, she curled her wings back.

"Hey, I still need your wing out."

I thought you were done.

"You wish I was done. I want to get that slash near the base of your wing."

With a sigh, Ravi stretched out her wing, but only enough for Nagan to reach the scabbed skin. Nagan didn't object—he knew better not to, or else Ravi would just make it harder out of spite—and he quickly slathered on the ointment given to him by one of the dragon experts.

"There. You can curl up now."

Thank you. Ravi pulled her wing back, and she glanced back into the sky again. Sainanak and General Meixong just landed outside the wall. You should go see what's going on.

Nagan furrowed his brow. Why?

I don't know. I just think you should.

Well, that's not ominous at all, Nagan thought to himself. If his thoughts leaked into his and Ravi's mental connection, she didn't react.

"I probably shouldn't be disturbing the general like that," Nagan said out loud instead.

Then...go to the tack barn? Pretend you're polishing my saddle. General Meixong is bound to pass through there. Every time a page or servant offers to take it for them, they refuse and do it themself.