Chapter 35

The city of Celors wasn't large, but it wasn't small, either. As a stop along a popular trading route among the mediocres, the market bustled with wares and cultures. But that's all it was, a stop for mediocres, not mages. Thus, the city didn't need a dragon stable. Luckily, Celors wasn't all that far from the South Camp, and it was only a day's journey by horse.

The sky grew dim as the teens approached Celors, occasionally passing by wagons heading out from the city. It didn't take long for them to find a stable to keep their horses in the meanwhile, and the stablekeeper readily believed them when they said the Council of Thirds would take care of the expense. The horses' armor was emblazoned with their symbol, after all. Either way, each of them held a crest in case someone needed more convincing.

"They couldn't have given us a map of the city before we left?" Carth grumbled as they stepped back out into the street.

"We could always ask the stablehand for directions," Gath suggested.

"I have no need for people who spit at people's backs," Carth scoffed, referring to one of the stablehands who had less than flattering things to say about the youngest members of their group. "Let's head to the market. I'm sure we'll find someone there to help us, or even the place itself."

"Actually, I think we should follow the river," Nagan said.

"Th-The riv—ver?"

"Yeah. I think it's safe to assume that some trade company owners make their vacation homes along the river, making it a higher classed living area. You won't find the inn there, but further up and closer to the middle of the city where it's noisier, that's where you'll find the artisans, taverns, and inns. The market will probably bleed over into that area, so heading straight to the market isn't a bad idea, I just think it'll be quieter if we walk by the river."

Carth took a moment to process this. "Will it be faster?"

"No, but we'll have less chance of running into large groups of people. And pickpocketers."

Az briefly stuck his hand in his pocket, making sure his coin purse wasn't there, before patting his chest where it sat just under his shirt. He learned that lesson years ago back in Carvolier Town.

"I think I'd notice if someone was rummaging through my pockets, but I supposed walking undisturbed is preferable." Carth changed his course, following Nagan's recommendation.

Just as Nagan had said, there were fewer people by the river. The water babbled peacefully, and the sound of their boots against the cobbled stone felt almost comforting. The lamps had already been lit, but there was one ahead that managed to blow out. A man stood up on a ladder, already finishing up changing the wick inside. However, it appeared he had some trouble getting the wick to catch. In a huff, the man leaned back, contemplating what to do. For a moment, it looked as if he would leave it for the night—it wasn't as if there were other lamps around—but that was when Nagan heard Milora say a simple incantation. The lamp lit instantaneously. Surprised, the man looked down at them.

"Oi, wa' tha' one of yeh?"

"Ah, yes, sir. That was me," Milora said hesitantly. "Sorry if I got in your way."

"Nah, jus' caught m' off guard, tha's all." The lamplighter climbed down the latter but left it leaning against the post. "Mages, eh? Don' see many o' yeh around. But ain't yeh a li'l young to b' let loose?"

"We're here on official business, sir." Carth stepped forward, slipping past Nagan and Milora. "Under orders of the Council of Thirds. We were looking for the Tale Top Inn; do you by any chance know where that is?"

The lamplighter eyed them suspiciously, glancing between them and the symbols on their cloaks. Even if he didn't know what they meant, it wasn't hard to catch how the fabric shimmered ever so slightly. The cloaks were woven with alchemically treated threads, after all. Seeming to decide against questioning them further, he jutted his thumb down the street.