Chapter 8

Nagan and Az were near the dragon nursery when a roar shook the castle.

"Was that...?" Az looked to his friend who had stiffened beside him, a concerned expression donning his face. "What was that?"

"It sounded like a dragon," Nagan replied after a moment, still focused ahead in concentration, "but it doesn't sound--"

A flash of light was their only warning. Nagan tackled Az to the ground as the window shattered and something flew over them, crashing into the wall. Az barely formed a barrier before glass and stone fell on them.

"What was that?" Az shouted, one hand frozen in the air while the other gripped Nagan tightly.

"An attack." Nagan leaped to his feet before dragging Az up with him. "Carvolier's under attack!"

"A-Are you sure? Maybe it was just an accident!"

"Yeah? Then how do you explain that?" he said, pointing to the broken window.

Another roar sounded before Az could reply, and both boys rushed to the window.

In different circumstances, the sight before them would've been normal. Three adult dragons hovered over the field and a fourth over Carvolier Town, but all were without a rider.

"Wild dragons!" Az gasped. "But how? We're on an island miles away from shore!"

Nagan grabbed Az's wrist and ran down the hall. "Come on!"

"What?!" Az pulled back, forcing Nagan to stop. "What do you mean 'come on?' What are you going to do?"

"There are only three full-fledged Dragonmages in this school, and two of their dragons aren't fit for fighting these kinds of battles!" Nagan explained hastily. "Fai has a lung dragon, Trevelion has a drake, leaving Ximor with the only dragon. Maybe a few fourth and fifth years can help, but their dragons are barely prepared to fight a full-grown dragon. We need to help!"

"And what makes you think we can help? Our dragons don't even stand to our waists!"

"Then you can stay and do nothing," Nagan scowled, letting go of Az and continuing his sprint down the hall. Only a few moments had passed before he heard pounding steps keeping pace with him.

"I hope you'll at least have a plan by the time we get down there," Az said once he was alongside his friend.

The boys raced through the castle, skidding around corridors and dodging unsuspecting students. The roars and the sounds of explosive collisions fueling their adrenaline even further. By the time they made it to the main door leading out of the castle, it was apparent they weren't the only ones with the need to fight.

"Stand back, all of you now! Pip pop!" Sir Luxivo stood in the way alongside an alert Professor Fai.

"Let us through! Professor Tevelion and Professor Ximor can't take all of them on themselves!" a fourth year shouted.

A third year, "They'll die if we don't do something!"

Another third year, "It's not fair to keep us trapped here!"

Nagan shoved his way to the front of the crowd, Az not far behind.

"Professor Fai, you have to let us fight," he said firmly. "For months you've been training us for battle, let us help you."

"And I was intending you to," Professor Fai said mildly before raising his voice, "but I can't do anything with all this shouting."

The crowd went quiet.

"Thank you," he huffed. "Now, as I was saying, the professors and I are fully aware of our limits and made a unanimous decision to let you fight. So listen carefully, I only have enough time to say this once.

"You will all be split up into four groups, and the last group will be split into teams. Group one follows Luxivo and helps maintain the barrier. Group two follows Marvi to attend to the wounded and drag the incapable out of danger. Group three follows Trevelion to provide combat support while Ximor and I fight from above. Only fifth years are allowed to fight with a dragon, but only if you are sure of your abilities. You only get one dragon in your lifetime after all.

"Group four will be sent to guard the town, using our stealth units to get past the dragons and help the townspeople further into the cliffside. Each team will contain at least one of each unit, along with an appointed captain. Messengers, be prepared to work efficiently. You're the only one able to connect each team as you all collaborate to take on a dragon. There are five teams in total. Leave immediately once your team has been announced."

The first three teams are said and left to make their way across the field.

"Team four, your captain is Honoria, Elvar as stealth, Ollengard as messenger, and Arcloven as medic."

Nagan didn't dare complain when he heard Carthadeus' name. More often than not, you never choose who you fight alongside with. It appeared Carthadeus knew the same as the four of them wordlessly stepped into formation.

"Wait," Nagan said, lifting his hand as they reached the door. "We should wait for the last team."

"Why?" the messenger asked.

"The last group had trouble getting to the woods, which is the obvious route to take if you don't want to sprint madly across the field."

Carthadeus raised a brow much to Nagan's chagrin. "And you can get all of us across?"

"I wouldn't have said anything if I couldn't."

The captain of the last team approached them before Carthadeus could say anything else.

"Is something wrong?" he asked. "Not safe to cross yet?"

"It will be." Nagan pointed to the woods. "Can all of you sprint the distance between here and there?"

All muttered an agreement or stayed silent.

Realizing what his friend was planning, Az nudged Nagan, leaning down to whisper, "Can you make it there?"

"Depends on how fast you run, but I can get you pretty close," Nagan said with a nod before turning to the others. "Ready?"

"What are you doing exactly?" Despite the question, Carthadeus prepared himself to run.

"Just keep up with me. The closer you are, the easier it is to sustain. Now, are you ready?"

"Ready!"

"Sor!"

The bell chimed, and Nagan took off running.