Chapter 41

Someone screamed.

Three thoughts flew through Nagan's mind: Gath, they needed to leave, and people were running up the incline.

"Carth!" Nagan yelled, breaking everyone out of their stupor as he ran forward, reinforcing the barrier Gath cast, just as the others began trying to break through. Dark tendrils of magic struck the barrier, but the barrier held. Whatever Gath had cast, it was of the strongest incantations he knew.

It took Carth and Az a second longer to react, but soon Carth joined him at the barrier while Az went to Gath's aid. Milora and Aitor, on the other hand, remained frozen. Aitor still reacted strongly to blood, and Milora had never seen...no. They didn't know what it was, yet.

Shrieks continued to fill the sky, now accompanied by many, but the loudest of them all was growing closer.

"That's Bizo," Carth said shakily. "We need to go. He's gone feral, and he won't recognize us as allies."

Nagan could only nod sharply, turning around just as Az stood unsteadily, his face pale. It only took a nod to confirm what had happened. Nagan took in a shuddering breath. He blinked rapidly to clear away tears.

"Let's move!"

Nagan grabbed Aitor and Milora's arms, forcing them to flee. He trusted that the others followed. Every instinct, every bit of survival he had flared through his veins as adrenaline flooded his body.

Stay focused, Nagan, he told himself. You need to get them out of here!

But when he reached the top of the incline, he froze. Bodies. Bodies filled what used to be the reservoir; water replaced with decaying flesh. He was surprised he didn't gag, and if he wasn't still holding onto Aitor, he was sure the other would've dropped.

"Az, Carth, build more barriers," Nagan commanded shortly, momentarily letting go of Milora to grab the onyx in his pocket, shoving it in Carth's hand. "Use this if you need it. Milora, stay with them or help if you can."

Nagan didn't wait for her response, dragging Aitor over to the windows at one side of the reservoir. The dragons still raged above. Turning Aitor away from the bodies, he gently but firmly held Aitor's face in his hands, forcing the other to look at him. Tears poured down the dark-skinned boy's face as his eyes stared back at Nagan in terror.

"Aitor—Aitor, I need you to listen to me," Nagan said, keeping his tone soft enough so as to not scare Aitor anymore. "I need you to tell me what's going on with the dragons. What is Gossamer saying?"

Aitor gulped, swallowing down a sob, but his eyes became more focused as he pressed his lips together in concentration.

"Th-th-there's—s...m-m-m-m-more. D-Dragons. Th—they're-re f-f-fight-ting. A-Am—b-b-bushed."

"Are any of them hurt?"

"All. B-B-Bad."

Nagan stayed where he was, not moving a muscle. Everything sounded distant to him, from the cries of the dragons to their attackers raging behind them. For a moment, he felt so utterly hopeless. How did this all go wrong? Will...will they ever get out of there alive?

He mentally shook his head, and his eyes narrowed in concentration. If this was the end, he sure as hell wasn't going down without fighting for his survival.

"Aitor, I need you to tell Gossamer to tell the other dragons to flee. Tell them to hide in the mountains from the other dragons until it's safe before flying back to the camp. And also..." Nagan's hands moved to Aitor's shoulders before pulling him into a hug. "Take Gossamer and run. Take Ravi if Gossamer is too injured. Ravi can fly as long as she has one set of wings still functional. Fly back to camp and tell them what happened."