Chapter 15

"You fought the general?!" Milora stated in alarm, her eyes quickly darting to the bandages that peeked out from under Nagan's sleeve.

"Yeah! It was sick!" Gath said excitedly.

"It was reckless," Az cut in with a pointed glare aimed at his friend.

Nagan barely contained an eye roll — if he didn't he was sure to get an earful from Az — and looked exasperated if not a bit embarrassed. Nagan, Az, and Gath were all in the same class when the incident happened, and ever since Milora had caught up with them in the halls as they made their way to the care of dragons class, it had been the topic of the hour. He pushed a few stray bangs away from his face. "Can we please talk about something else..."

Milora frowned and lightly took hold of Nagan's wrist to make sure he was listening to her. "You shouldn't be putting yourself out there like that, Nagan. General Byteron already has it out for you, and who knows what he'll do next. You're already standing through meals as it is."

He snorted humorlessly. "I've been through worse."

Her brow furrowed, and her grip tightened as she said firmly, "No one deserves to be treated that way. Just because you can handle it doesn't make it right."

With that, she let go of his wrist and strode over to her dragon's corral, leaving the three boys behind.

Beside him, Nagan heard Gath suck air through his teeth. "Wrong choice of words there, Nagan. You've upset her."

"I can see that," Nagan snapped irritably but cast a guilty look in Milora's direction. "I'll apologize later."

"Oh?" Az was a bit peeved about how Nagan took to Milora's words so quickly, but at the same time saw an opportunity to get back at him. "So it takes a woman's words for you to finally understand what I've been telling you all along? Or more specifically, Milora's words?"

Nagan gave Az a scandalized look at the implication, his mouth opening and closing like a fish as he tried to find words to defend himself. In the end, he looked away in defeat as he gritted his teeth and exhaled sharply. His face was a few shades redder than normal.

At Nagan's reaction, Gath guffawed and bent over wheezing, earning an even sharper glare from the other. Gath didn't quite get the warning as he said, "You haven't even known each other for a year, and already you're so whi—"

"Another word and I replace your tongue with dragon dung."

Gath's mouth shut with an audible click, but a goofy grin stayed in place.

All three boys parted ways after that to retrieve their dragons. Gath was further down from the rest of them, being a year ahead, but Nagan and Az's dragons were fairly close together. Milora had already coaxed her dragon out and was heading to the open area.

"Ravi, I'm gonna open the gate now," Nagan said as he fiddled with the lock. He could practically feel Iccmiravi buzzing with energy on the other side. "Do not pounce the moment I open it."

He braced himself for impact as he slowly pushed the gate open, only for it to fling open even further as a purple haze surrounded him in an instant. Ravi purred in content as she settled around her master and kept him in her hold.

"What did I just say?" Nagan scolded as he struggled to be let out from her grasp. If there was one thing that stayed consistent since she was an egg, Ravi was clingy.

She set her onyx eyes on her master and huffed a ring of smoke around him as if she was laughing at him. It looked as if she was saying, But I didn't pounce like you said not to do. Nagan caught the message loud and clear.

"Iccmiravi, we don't have time for this!" He swatted at her a few times. "Now let go. I'll sit with you after class is over as usual."

Reluctantly, Ravi released her hold on Nagan but nudged him forward eagerly as if starting class sooner meant it would be over sooner. Nagan sighed and ran his hand along her scales.

"Just a second. Let me put this down," he said as he walked back towards Ravi's corral before setting his bookbag just inside the gate. He would usually study while sitting alongside her. Once that was done, he strolled back to where Ravi waited and headed to the open area, Ravi not far behind.

Even if only months have gone by, each dragon that hatched early continued to grow at a nearly exponential rate. By no means were they fully grown, but already Ravi was the size of a tree and had a wingspan of nearly thirty feet with the larger set of wings while the second set reached about half that (The second set were a surprise to Nagan as they developed about two months after Ravi hatched).

Nagan took his usual spot between Az and Milora, but Milora barely spared him a glance as he approached. Milora's dragon, Dockard, had the same sentiment as his mistress, except that he preferred to glare him down. Nagan was glad Ravi stayed close behind him.

Dockard was a silvery-grey wyvern with a flat bone-like material shaping the top of his head and had steely eyes to match. Both Nagan and Az have sported bruises from being head-butted by the wyvern when he deemed the boys too close to Milora. Where Ravi was clingy, Dockard was protective.

Usually, Milora would scold her dragon when he became too aggressive around the boys, but for the moment Nagan wasn't sure if she would purposefully send Dockard after him. He would apologize when he was a good few feet away from Dockard's reach.

Gath sat on the other side of Az, his navy blue dragon, Bizo, snoozing behind him, while Az and Kint both stood in relative attention. Normally, Gath wouldn't be in the class at all since he was a year ahead and already knew how to take care of dragons, but today was a special class.

Today was the day they learned how to fly.

•_____________________•

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack who's happy to see me hahahahahahahahahaha I am so sorry for the wait XD

Turns out me and online classes don't mix, so now I'm just taking one instead of the original three. Still on the right track at least XD

Anyways, with less classes means more time to write! Kinda. If I can even get myself to write XD it literally took two weeks to drag myself to my computer, aaaand then my computer broke XD so everything here was typed on my phone and idk how many mistakes there are. Every time I typed 'Az,' it autocorrected to 'As' pretty much, so sorry if there's some weird typos here and there. Tried to get them all, but I could've missed some.

Enough of my ramble now heh. I really hope to start writing regularly now, so maybe I'll get back to updating weekly, but for now I'll say it's an 'I'll update when I have anything' sort of thing hehe.

Thank for your patience, everyone!