Chapter 38

Or my name wouldn't be Nageth Elvar!

Nagan could only stare in shock as the scratchy letters glared up at him. They had all returned to the mansion the next morning, just as they had promised, to retrieve the journal the first man left behind. But Nagan stopped dead in his tracks, his mind reeling at what he was looking at.

Behind the cover, there were no names or titles that would have hinted at who the journal belonged to. So, Nagan had turned to where the writing stopped, trying to find what were the last things this person had written about. He had full intentions of looking for clues on why the Sunglare Circle may have been targeted, but he certainly wasn't expecting this.

"What is it?" Az asked, stopping as soon as Nagan did. "Did you find something?"

Wordlessly, Nagan turned the journal around, pointing to the letters on the page. It took a moment for Az to decipher what it said, but his mouth soon dropped open.

"By the gods—"

"Wh-What? What i-i-is it-it?"

It didn't take long for the teens to crowd around, all trying to see what Nagan was pointing at, but Nagan spared them the trouble of trying to read the handwriting.

"This belonged to my father," Nagan said, his voice still tinged with awe. "Nageth Elvar was the first man with the dragon Madam Sivil was talking about."

None of them knew what to say after that. They were planning on turning in the journal as further evidence of suspicious activity, but now...

"Well, does it say anything about the Sunglare Circle?" Gath asked.

Nagan snorted. "I'm not sure, I'd have to look through it for a bit. My father wasn't exactly known for his impeccable handwriting."

"Yeah...good luck with that."

"With that conclusion in mind, we think it would be best if a fully trained Infiniti were to take a look at it," Carth concluded, his back ram-rod straight as he reported to Colonel Warven

"With that conclusion in mind, we think it would be best if a fully trained Infiniti were to take a look at it," Carth concluded, his back ram-rod straight as he reported to Colonel Warven. The rest stood behind him with Nagan standing a bit closer. Professor Fai had been sent away on his own mission, leaving the teens to report to the colonel.

"That is very strange," Colonel murmured, mostly to himself but still addressing the teen in front of him. "I'll have to ask General Meixong for confirmation, but I believe I've heard other cases of this, but not with so much clarity as this. Who was it again who you spoke to?"

"Madam Sivil. She's the current mayor's mother and has lived there all her life. We were told of another, a farmer whom they only call Old Gamger and lives right next to the Sunglare Circle, but it was recommended we didn't speak to him. He doesn't like strangers or foreigners, apparently."

"Ah. I see. Unfortunately, you'll get a few people like that down here. Perhaps if we send him a notice ahead of time, he would be more receptive if the Council decides we should question him, too." The colonel jotted down a couple notes on two separate sheets of paper, one probably going to General Meixong and the other to the Council. "I will put in your recommendation for the area being inspected by an Infiniti. Good work, you've successfully completed a mission on your own."