Chapter 37

"So what did you find, soldiers?" the innkeeper asked as they all filed back into the tavern and took a seat, all presenting a degree of confusion and disappointment. He frowned when they all vocalized as much. "Nothing?"

"No, we found something. Washed out runes and noted that the area mutes magic, but that's about it," Az explained. "We may need to call in a specialist."

"If they'll even send one," Nagan muttered.

"It still sounds like the Sunglare Circle didn't give you the answers you wanted," the innkeeper said before giving them a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry. That must've been quite a disappointment. Is this y'all's first assignment?"

Gath did a so-so gesture. "Kinda. Some of us—"

Milora, "I wasn't there."

"—were guarding a supply train as it was being transported. We got attacked, though, so this is our first investigative mission, and our prof—er, captain, isn't with us this time."

The innkeeper stared at them in shock. "You were attacked?"

"No worries! None of us were hurt. Most of us are combative spell casters, and all of us can wield a sword—Nagan, the blond one, is the best at it—so we're pretty prepared to deal with those things. But anyway, do you happen to know anything else about the Sunglare Circle?"

"Oh, actually—" the innkeeper busied himself with a glass as he tried to move on from the fact that children the same age as his nephew have fought in real life or death situations before, "—I was thinking a bit more about that while you were out. I don't know much more—I've only lived here for a couple years—but it occurred to me that I may know who can tell you something more. Well, there are several who can tell you more. Take Old Gamger, for example. Has lived here all his life and will die here. But he won't speak to you, that's a guarantee."

"Why not?" Carth asked.

"For one, he doesn't like people showing up uninvited and hates the majority of people in general. Second, he certainly won't like you two." He motioned to Nagan and Aitor. "But, there's someone else here who has also lived here all her life, and I'm sure she'll be happy to talk. She always has been in my experience. She'll talk your ear off if given the chance."

Az, "Who is she?"

"The mayor's mother, Madam Sivil. She lives just outside in a large mansion. You can't miss it as long as you follow the main road and take the first left you see beyond the gate. The only thing that may pose a problem is the guards. But..." He looked out the window to the sun that had since passed the afternoon and was now becoming early evening. "If you go now, you may catch her on her evening walk. She always 'works up an appetite' before settling for dinner."

Carth immediately stood. "Let's go now, then. You said down the main road and first left?"

"Yep, exactly that."

"Alright. Thank you for this."