Chapter 21 - (Wrongfully accused)

I emerge from my uneasy slumber amid an explosion of noises, my unease caused by the chaos still present. I spend the night at Ms. Frimpong's office, realizing as I turn to look around. Bryan is currently dozing off across from me, symbolizing his unwavering support. I feel so full of gratitude that words can hardly do it justice.

"Bryan, wake up," I murmur gently, stirring him.

He stirs, eyelids parting as he yawns. The morning light accentuates his features, making him even more captivating.

"Did we fall asleep here?" he questions with a drowsy acknowledgment.

I nod, confirming his suspicion. Apprehension hangs heavy in the air, a reminder that the day ahead will be trying.

"I'm scared, Bryan. I don't know if I can face everyone," I confess, my vulnerability laid bare.

He sighs, his support evident as he helps me to my feet. "Life doesn't always go as planned, Leona. Strength lies in confronting those fears. You have it within you; I believe that."

Tears well up in my eyes as I cling to him, an embrace that conveys gratitude for his support.

As we step out of the office, our paths diverge, leading us to our separate dorms. The school environment, once a place of togetherness, transforms into a battlefield of suspicion and accusation.

"Look who's here, the star of the show, this year's ultimate villain," a voice taunts, the words cutting through. Laughter follows, a cruel symphony that echoes in my ears.

Anger churns within me, not just for the disrespect to Angie, but for the injustice of being labeled a murderer. I can't stay silent.

Addressing the mocking crowd, my voice remains steady, "Enough of this. Angela is still fighting for her life, and instead of praying for her recovery, you mock her pain and mine. This isn't something to trivialize."

"You? Giving us a lecture?" Cassie's voice drips with disdain as she approaches, her eyes reddened from tears.

My attempt to bridge the gap between us is met with her fury. "Cassie, I would never hurt Angie. She means as much to me as she does to you. How could you even think I'm capable of such a thing?"

"Then who did it, Leona? Who?" Her voice trembles.

I admit my ignorance, my voice barely a whisper, "I don't know."

"Why can't you just admit the truth? You pushed her!" Her anger flares, and she grabs me, her accusing fingers digging into my shoulders.

"Cassie, please stop. Let go of me," I cry out.

Cassie's slap lands on my cheek, her accusation undeniable.

I try to defend myself, my voice shaking, "No, Cassie, please understand. I didn't—"

Before I can finish, she grabs my wrist, dragging me away from the dorm. The scene escalates, bystanders watching the turmoil. Sam intervenes, questioning Cassie's actions.

Silence is his response, and my heart sinks.

The arrival of Principal Frimpong, my mother, and a police car signals an even darker reality. Angie's mother, consumed by grief and fury, unleashes her anger, her words laced with pain. Chaos erupts, my world spiraling into chaos.