Chapter 6- (Time's Second Chance)

The church service today is truly uplifting. The harmonious singing and spirited dancing are new experiences for me, but I find myself adapting well to this vibrant community. Despite the positivity of the day, a shadow of disappointment lingers from yesterday's visitation, where my mother once again failed to appear. However, as I stand outside, quietly hoping for a change in fortune, a chance encounter shifts my focus.

Approaching me is a senior in form three, Ruby, a captivating figure with flawless skin, long lashes, glasses, and braces. Her hair texture mirrors mine, creating an immediate connection. As she greets me with a wave, I reciprocate with a smile.

"I'm Ruby," she introduces herself.

"Leona," I respond.

"Ohh, you're the new girl who arrived recently, right?" she inquires.

"Yes, that's me," I affirm.

"That's great. Adjusting to a new environment can be tough, especially coming from London."

"I'm doing well, Senior Ruby. Everything's alright."

"Good to hear. I was once in your shoes. Being half American, I struggled too, but after two years, I've settled in. If you need any help, feel free to reach out, alright?"

"Thank you, Senior Ruby. I'll keep that in mind."

With her offer of support, Ruby leaves with her friends, and I continue waiting for Cassie and Angie. The bustling school surroundings hold encounters with others, including the haughty Senior Nana Yaa and her clique, who brush past me without breaking my composure. But amidst the crowd, Bryan's aloofness stands out.

His cold demeanor is a stark departure from the familiarity we once shared. I know my actions are to blame, and the gravity of the situation becomes apparent as I observe his avoidance. The weight of my mistakes is undeniable, yet I never expected them to lead to such a profound rift.

Finally, Cassie arrives, but without Angela by her side.

"Where's Angie?" I inquire.

"She's talking to that senior she's head over heels for. Let's go," Cassie urges, tugging me along.

Time passes, and the visiting hours are drawing to a close. Families and friends assemble, creating a heartwarming atmosphere of connection. Sitting in the dorm, I watch as the girls receive care packages and share in the joy of their visitors' presence.

Cassie's exuberant voice cuts through the room, announcing her brother's arrival. Her elation is obvious, and as she introduces me as her best friend, I'm overcome with a surge of emotion. Despite my short time here, I feel a bond forming.

Cassie's brother, Alex, exudes charm and has a magnetic presence. His dimples reveal themselves as he smiles, and I can't help but notice his handsome features – neatly faded hair, a well-shaped beard, and captivating eyes. But I reprimand myself for these thoughts; after all, he's Cassie's brother.

His easygoing nature and genuine interest in our conversation make the visit thoroughly enjoyable. As visiting hours wane, my heart aches with the absence of my own family. The concern deepens as I realize neither my mother nor Aunty Bridgette has come, signaling something amiss.

Walking Alex to the school gate, I observe the sibling bond between him and Cassie, and their farewell is bittersweet. He drives off in his black Toyota Corolla, waving us goodbye.

Returning to the dormitory, I excuse myself with the intention of making a call. Yet, as I step toward the phone booth, my heart skips a beat as I notice Bryan standing there. Our eyes meet, and he starts to walk past me, but in a split second, I gather my courage and reach out to grab his wrist before he can leave.

"What?" he exclaims, his expression laced with irritation.

"I'm sorry," I murmur, mustering all the sincerity I can into my apology, my eyes reflecting the plea in my words.

A hint of surprise flashes in his eyes, softened by my display of vulnerability. "You really think this is going to work, huh?" he questions, a hint of amusement dancing on his lips.

I nod, my heart pounding as I maintain eye contact, silently hoping he'll see the earnestness in my eyes. A reluctant chuckle escapes his lips. "Well, I'm not mad at you," he confesses, his tone softer than before.

"For real?" I blurt out, my skepticism evident. "It's been two weeks, and you've been giving me the cold shoulder. You were definitely mad at me," I retort, my frustration of the past weeks coming to the surface.

A smirk tugs at the corner of his lips. "I wasn't, Leona. I just wanted to see how long you could go without talking to me, and I must say I'm impressed. You really do have some pride issues," he admits, his eyes locking onto mine.

I can't help but laugh at his audacity, feeling a mixture of exasperation and relief. "Oh, please," I reply, shaking my head playfully.

His eyes hold a warm understanding as he regards me. "You were about to make a call?" he inquires, changing the subject.

I share with him my attempts to reach my mom, how each call went unanswered, leaving me with a sense of sadness. I try once more, the ringing tone echoing in the booth, but there's still no response. The disappointment threatens to overwhelm me.

Bryan places a reassuring hand on my shoulder, offering a comforting pat. "She might come next week. Don't worry about it," he reassures me gently, his voice carrying a comforting tone.

"Okay," I whisper, gratitude welling up in me for his unexpected support. We leave the phone booth, the weight of the moment lifting slightly.

As we walk side by side, I can't help but reflect on the depth of our conversation. I'm grateful that Bryan and I have managed to talk things out. His company, though at times annoying, proves to be unexpectedly comforting. Despite his teasing nature, a curious realization begins to take root within me—I find myself drawn to his presence more and more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys what did you think of this chapter?

Comment down below and let's get interactive.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Love
-Daisy