Chapter 16- (Broken Bonds)

In the calm morning light, a gentle smile graces my lips as I reflect on the incredible whirlwind of emotions from last night's date with Bryan. It's almost surreal how everything unfolded, each moment etching itself into my memory. The elation bubbles up within me, radiating happiness as I relive that magical first kiss—so dreamy, with Bryan's presence lingering in my thoughts like a sweet melody.

Feeling a sudden rush of shyness, I can't help but bury my blushing face into my pillow, as if it could shield me from the intensity of my feelings. With just one day left until school resumes, a mix of excitement courses through me. Though the prospect of returning to the routine is slightly daunting, I've cherished these days spent at home, finding solace in the company of my mother, who's been making a remarkable recovery—truly the highlight of my break.

As the sun starts to cast its warm glow, I greet the morning with newfound joy. "Good morning, Mom," I exclaim, enveloping her in a warm hug. My aunt's presence adds to the mirth, and I can't help but act like a child, offering her an enthusiastic embrace. The aroma of something delicious wafts through the air, prompting me to gravitate toward the kitchen.

"Mmm, what's cooking?" I inquire, reaching for a piece of crispy fried chicken that my aunt is skillfully preparing. The anticipation of breakfast only adds to the delightful atmosphere.

A playful side-eye from Mom doesn't go unnoticed. "Someone looks happy," she teases, a knowing smile curving her lips. Her curiosity can't be contained as she asks the question that's been hanging in the air since last night. "How was your date?"

I maintain a casual tone, even though my heart is practically singing. "It was alright, Mom," I respond, though the words hardly capture the euphoria that's been coursing through me. However, her maternal intuition sees beyond the façade.

"Just alright?" Mom's inquisitive nature pushes further.

"Yes, Mommy," I insist, yet the telltale expression on my face gives me away, betraying my true emotions.

Before the conversation dives any deeper, my aunt saves the moment by announcing that breakfast is ready. Our small gathering moves to the dining hall, a sense of togetherness warming our hearts as we enjoy the meal and each other's company.

~~~

Later in the day, I make my way to Cassie's place, eager to share all the juicy details of last night's adventure.

"Oh my God, you kissed? Girl, you're living the life!" Cassie's enthusiasm knows no bounds as I spill the beans.

"Let's call Angela and let her know," I suggest, hoping to bridge the gap that had formed between them.

Cassie's skepticism about Angela's reaction is apparent. "She's still mad. I don't think she'll answer," Cassie asserts confidently.

I'm determined to try, however. "Let me just give it a shot," I insist, dialing Angela's number without hesitation.

The phone rings, but our expectations fall short. "See? I told you," Cassie remarks, a triumphant tone coloring her words.

Yet, fate has different plans as my phone lights up with an incoming call, and it's Angela on the other end. I show the display to Cassie, a smug grin forming on my lips. Putting the call on loudspeaker, I answer.

"Hey, Angie. How are you?" I greet her, hoping to dissipate the tension.

"I'm fine, and you?" Angela's voice is guarded, her emotions hidden beneath the surface.

"I'm good too. What are you up to?" I try to keep the conversation light.

Angela's response is curt, revealing her lingering resentment. "Nothing much, just getting ready for school."

Thinking of mending fences, I suggest, "Oh, okay. Um, Cassie's here. Do you want to talk to her?"

Her rejection is swift and firm. "No. I don't want to talk to that fake friend, okay?"

Before I can interject, Cassie snatches my phone and launches into a heated argument with Angela. Her words sting as she unleashes her frustrations.

"Cassie, that's enough," I whisper, hoping to deescalate the situation.

But Angela's anger is obvious, her voice laced with hurt. "Oh, Leona, so you had me on speaker so both of you can make fun of me, huh?"

I attempt to soothe her, "Angie, please calm down and listen..."

My efforts are in vain, as both Cassie and Angela continue to hurl accusations and insults at each other. Chaos reigns, and my attempts to intervene prove futile.

Cassie's hurt is evident in her words. "How can you call me fake, Angela?"

Angela's response is laden with a mix of frustration and pain. "Because you are. You pretend to care for me but you don't. Is it because I'm not rich like the rest of you? Is it because I have to work alongside my mom to pay my fees? That's why you're saying you feel pity for me, right?"

As Angela's raw emotions spill out, her regret becomes visible. "I regret ever being friends with all of you. You always leave me out of everything, knowing what I'm going through. The same thing happened with Sam, Cassie. You always neglect me when you have a new friend. But it's fine. I see through you now. And I'll make sure you all pay for this."

The confrontation escalates further, Cassie's exasperation reaching a boiling point. "Go to hell, Angela! There's nothing you can do!" With that, Cassie hangs up.

Stunned by the intensity of the exchange, I'm at a loss for words. "Cassie, that was too much," I manage to voice my concern.

"Too much? She started it, Leona. What's wrong with her?" Cassie's anger lingers.

I attempt to bring reason into the situation. "Cassie, calm down."

"Just go home, Leona. I want to be alone, please."

Respecting her wish, I sigh and reluctantly agree to give her the space she needs. "Alright, I'll come check up on you tomorrow." With a heavy heart, I take my leave and make my way back home.

As I walk away, the weight of the situation presses on me. This wasn't how things were meant to unfold. I knew I needed to mend this rift before the impending return to school. The misunderstanding ran deep, but it was a bridge that could be rebuilt.

______________________________________

I finally updated 😂😂 sorry for keeping you guys waiting.

Good news is I'll be updating 2 chapters every week 💃💃💃.

So there you go. Don't scroll without voting and commenting oo.

-Daisy