Chapter 31 - (Reaching out or holding back?)

Leona's POV

As the weekend finally arrives, I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief. Having tackled all my laundry chores yesterday only adds to my sense of accomplishment. After getting ready for the day, I step out of my dorm, almost relishing in the fact that my two perpetually lazy best friends are now faced with the task of doing their own laundry. I can't resist poking fun at their lack of foresight before making my way to the cafeteria for a much-needed breakfast.

Inside the cafeteria, the comforting aroma of food envelops me, and I make my way to grab a plate of oats, bread, and eggs. Finding a seat alone, my eyes unintentionally lock onto the gaze of a new girl, who quickly diverts her attention when our eyes meet. Intrigued, I decide to be bold and make my way over to her table.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?" I ask, my voice carrying a polite tone. She looks up, surprise flickering across her features before she nods her agreement. Taking a seat, a brief silence hangs between us, urging me to break the ice.

Breaking the quietude with a warm smile, I extend a hand. "I'm Leona, by the way. How about you?" Her reply comes effortlessly, "Becca." It turns out she's recently transferred from the Eastern region due to her father's job relocation to Accra. Her story unfolds like a novel, and I listen intently, finding her presence captivating.

As we share stories, I can't help but notice the uncanny resemblance Becca bears to Angie. Her fair skin and glossy black hair evoke a striking familiarity, like they could be look a-likes . However, I suppress the urge to ask about Bryan and Christopher, unsure of how to broach the topic. It appears my curiosity doesn't go unnoticed, as Becca inquires, "Is there something you want to say?"

Flustered by the directness, I stammer, "Oh, no, it's nothing really. Just that last time I saw you with Bryan and Christopher, and I was wondering if you knew them or if there was a reason they approached you."

Becca's chuckle is reassuring. "Don't worry, Leona. She offers an explanation that they just approached her just like I did, and we continue our conversation. The breakfast eventually concludes, and we exit the cafeteria together. The conversation flows easily as we discover shared perspectives, like our aversion to the Saturday laundry rush.

We run into Bryan and Christopher, which short breaks up our unity.  Bryan pulls Becca into a friendly hug as his joy at seeing her is apparent. Hello, Becca! He remarks, "You're looking so lovely today. My mind is racing because I can feel their connection.

I'm a little taken aback by Becca's blush and Bryan's charisma, so I make the decision to leave politely. "Becca, I'll see you back at the dorm,"I say as an excuse. I feel a sting of dissatisfaction as I leave because of the sight. Why am I behaving in this manner?

Back at the dorm, Cassie's inquiry about my mood prompts me to recount the morning's events. As I explain my feelings, Cassie's rational perspective reminds me that Bryan and I aren't romantically involved. Her words ring true, but I'm still ruffled as I make my way to the library, craving solitude.

My introspection is interrupted by a junior, who informs me of my mom's arrival. Excitement courses through me, and I rush to the visiting lounge. Seeing my mom feels like a warm embrace for my soul. The atmosphere lightens as we catch up, and her presence feels like a balm for my worries.

As we chat, my attention shifts to a little girl in a wheelchair, accompanied by a young lady. To my surprise, Bryan enters the scene, enveloping the girl in a tender hug. Could she be his sister? My curiosity is diverted as my mom engages me in conversation.

She notices my distracted gaze and asks about it. I nod toward Bryan and confide in her about my feelings of hurt and resentment. Her response is a gentle reminder that forgiveness is a path to peace. She draws parallels to my own actions, and her words linger long after she leaves.

As the visiting hours conclude with a siren's wail, I say goodbye to my mom. Her advice lingers in my thoughts, nudging me to seek closure. The need to understand Bryan's actions becomes urgent, and the idea of a candid conversation takes root. It's time to find the answers I've been seeking, to put my turmoil to rest.

~~~~~
Bryan's POV

Anticipation courses through me as the moment finally arrives to see my sister again. It's been a difficult two years since her accident, when she was just eight years old. The accident rendered her legs immobile, confining her to a wheelchair. The guilt gnaws at me because the accident happened while she was trying to intervene in our parents' fights, and she fell down the stairs. That day, I wasn't there for her, choosing instead to attend a frivolous party. I still blame myself for that choice, even though I know deep down it wasn't my fault.

The strained relationship between me and my mom is another consequence of that tragic event. Our bond isn't what one would expect between mother and son. The resentment and guilt make it hard to look at her without a storm of mixed emotions. It's a pain that runs deep, and I'm not sure if I can ever truly forgive her for what happened.

As for my dad, he vanished from our lives after my mom filed for divorce. A part of me hopes he never returns. He was never a good father, and his absence is somewhat of a relief, even though it's also a source of confusion and loss.

The excitement bubbles over as Lily pouts, asking about my return home. Lily, my little sister who had her innocence stolen by that dreadful accident. "I'll be home soon, Lily," I assure her, my hands cradling her cheeks. To see her smile, to witness her joy, is my biggest reward.

With a playful threat, I coax her into a smile that illuminates my world. We chat about anything and everything, despite her tender age of ten. Even at her young age, she has a wisdom that astounds me.

Unexpectedly, Lily's voice changes the course of our conversation. "Bryan? There's a pretty girl standing behind you," she points out. Swiveling around, I find Becca standing there, her presence both surprising and a little unsettling. "Hey, Bryan," she greets, her voice carrying a mix of casualness and uncertainty. "Do you mind if I join you?" she asks politely.

As Becca settles in next to me, I can't help but feel a tinge of awkwardness. Though Becca and I have exchanged words before, we're far from being close. I find myself hoping that the incident earlier hadn't tarnished her opinion of me. Regrettably, my misguided attempt to make Leona jealous seems to have had an unintended effect.

Our conversation starts slowly, cautious words bridging the gap between us. With Lily's innocence as a bridge, Becca and I navigate this moment, sharing light-hearted compliments and polite exchanges. The tension eases as Lily's playful observations lighten the atmosphere.

Time flies, and visiting hours come to an end. Lily's parting reluctance surfaces, and I take her away from the lounge to my mom's office. The temptation to ensure Lily's happiness and prevent her from being seen by others becomes a priority. My mom's assurance of their bonding time brings a smile to my lips.

Returning to the lounge, Becca is still waiting, and my respect for her deepens. I open up about Leona, about our history and the wedge that was driven between us due to our friend's death. The weight of our conversation is obvious, yet Becca's understanding presence brings a sense of relief.

We journey through our thoughts and feelings using honesty as a guide. My torn spirit finds solace in Becca's sensitivity, and her hug brings unexpected comfort. We part ways with the assurance of a subsequent meet up as the bell rings to signal the end of visiting time.

Returning to my dorm, fatigue weighs on my eyelids, a satisfying exhaustion that speaks of a day well-spent. As I slip beneath the covers, a smile tugs at my lips. My thoughts are a whirlwind of faces and conversations, a carousel of emotions that eventually lead me into a deep and restful slumber.

______________________________________
Don't forget to vote❤️ T for thanks.