Chapter 10- (Mommy)

Amid the anticipation and nerves of midterms, today holds a unique significance. While others buzz with excitement, I find solace in the thought of returning home. The blaring siren interrupts our preparations, drawing us to the hall for an announcement. Ms. Frimpong reveals the return date after the break, which everyone eagerly awaits. We depart the hall after a prayer, but my attempts to reach my mom or Auntie yield no response.

Frustration etches across my face, catching Cassie's attention. She inquires about my distress, and I explain my futile attempts to contact home. Cassie reassures me that Alex can give me a ride, even though I confess my lack of familiarity with the route.

"That's alright. Are you familiar with the area your house is in?" she asks.

"Yes, I have the address in my journal."

"Indigo homes! That's where I live too!" Cassie exclaims, warmly embracing me. The prospect of having a friend nearby brings a sense of comfort.

Time marches on, dwindling the crowd to just Cassie and me, awaiting Alex. Sam and Angie have already departed. I excuse myself to speak with Bryan. She playfully teases before allowing me to leave.

Spotting Bryan amidst his friends in the cafeteria, I consider turning back, but he calls out my name and approaches me.

"Hey, were you looking for me? I'm not a ghost," he jokes.

I chuckle and shake my head. "You seemed busy."

Bryan grins. "Actually, I was going to come find you, but Nana Yaa was chatting away."

"That's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about," I reply.

"Really? What about Nana Yaa?"

I cut to the chase. "What's your relationship with her?"

Bryan seems surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Just what I said."

"Wait, are you jealous?" he probes.

"Jealous? Why would I be?"

He teases, "Well, that's what it looks like."

I press on, undeterred. "Bryan, just answer the question."

Bryan opens up, "She's my best friend. We're like siblings, been through a lot together. I know you're not fond of her, but she's genuinely good."

Satisfied, I nod. "Okay, I believe you."

Bryan grins mischievously. "You don't have a choice."

Returning to the purpose of my visit, I ask, "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

Bryan's tone shifts, revealing his intent. "I was wondering if you'd like to go on a proper date with me. Not just sneaking away from school."

Amused, I recall our past escapades. "Yes! I'd love to."

Bryan playfully insists, "You'd love to what?"

I play along, raising my voice, "I'd love to go on a date with you, Bryan."

He teases again, "I didn't quite catch that. Louder, please?"

"Bryan, you're so annoying," I exclaim, unable to suppress a smile.

He takes my hand and writes his number.

"I'll wash my hands." I say.

"Don't even try that," He retorts.

Chuckling, he bids me farewell. "Alright, Leona. See you soon, and don't miss me too much."

"Trust me, I won't," I quip before departing and heading back to Cassie.

Alex offers to give me a ride, and Cassie and I gather our things. At our destination, I spot my house and feel a rush of relief. In our gated estate, my house is just minutes away from Cassie's, a prospect that excites us both for future sleepovers.

"Thank you, Alex. You and your sister have been of great help," I express my gratitude.

"Don't mention it. Let me know if you need anything," he offers.

After a warm farewell with Cassie, I head towards my house. Opening the door, I'm surprised to find Auntie Bridgette about to leave.

"Auntie!" I exclaim in delight.

Her surprise is evident. "Leona, why are you home?"

"It's midterm, Auntie," I reply, my concern growing. "I've been trying to reach you and Mom."

Auntie Bridgette's tone turns somber. "Your mom isn't here."

The knot of worry tightens within me. "Where is she then?"

Auntie Bridgette hesitates, her gentleness trying to temper my anxiety. "Calm down, Leona."

Tears threaten as I implore, "Where's my mom, Auntie?"

She pauses, the air heavy with uncertainty. "Your mom... she's not here."

Fear grips me. "Please, tell me, Auntie."

Finally, her voice breaks the silence. "Leona, your mom is in the hospital."

My heart sinks as I confront a reality I hadn't prepared for.

______________________________________

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Thank you for all the support guys. I really appreciate it.

Love,
Daisy.