Chapter 18- (When friendship ends)

As I prepare to return to school, a heavy cloud of sadness hovers over me. My mom enters my room, her perceptive gaze capturing my lingering distress from yesterday. Seating herself beside me, she gently inquires if I'm alright. I find myself unable to hold back the tears any longer and collapse into her embrace, holding her tightly.

"There there, my baby. Tell me what's troubling you," she comforts, her voice a soothing balm. And so, I pour out my heart, recounting the events of the party and how Angie, in an act of utmost disrespect, had dragged her into our argument.

"Angie really did all of that?" Her disbelief is evident, and I can only nod in response. Amidst tears, I find myself apologizing to my mom, feeling guilty that now the world knows about her struggles.

Her response surprises me, "I don't care about that, Leona. What matters is that I'm getting better, right?" Her loving words weave a safety net around me as she wipes away my tears.

Looking into her eyes, I offer a nod, grateful for her unwavering support. Her warmth envelops me as she pulls me into a tender embrace, assuring me, "Look, my dear. You're still growing. At 16, life's challenges are inevitable. Friends may betray you, hearts may break, but you'll also find those who resonate with you. It's all a part of life's journey. I'm sorry you had to face this, but stay strong. You're smart and resilient; you'll navigate through it all. I'm here for you, and I love you deeply."

With her embrace etched in my heart, we pack my belongings in preparation for the return to school.

Fast forward, and here I am, standing before the school once again. Aunt Bridgette's departure leaves me feeling a mixture of emotions. As I arrange my belongings in the almost empty dorm, hushed conversations catch my attention. Girls discussing the previous night's party shoot glances my way, filling me with unease. Rita, too, engages in their chatter, making it evident they're discussing me.

In haste, I escape to the solitude of the library, where tears flow freely. A comforting touch on my shoulder startles me, and I turn to find Sam.

"I'm so sorry, Leona. I should've been there for you. It's my fault," Sam's remorseful words hang heavy. With a reassuring smile, I wipe my tears. We inquire about Cassandra, and as if summoned, she appears.

I begin my apology, but she cuts me off, unleashing her pent-up frustration. Her words pierce through me—rebuking me for not heeding her advice to leave the party. She severs our friendship, comparing me to Angie before walking away with Sam in tow.

Stunned, I process her words. How could she fail to see my pain? Didn't she recognize the struggles I faced too? The hurt swells within me, mingling with the resentment. That moment marked a turning point for me.

Later that day, I sat alone during lunch, seeking refuge from the chaos that my world had become. Angela, Nana Yaa, and a group of girls approached, their intention clear—to torment me. Amidst a near-empty cafeteria, their taunts and insults filled the air, but I did my best to block them out. The tipping point came when Nana Yaa maliciously spilled water over my meal, destroying it.

My patience snapped, and I yelled, "What's wrong with you people?" My shove met Nana Yaa's push, escalating the tension. Angela, always at the center of these confrontations, intensified my anguish with her piercing words. Just as the situation seemed to spiral out of control, and I began hitting Angela, our form mistress, Ms. Dorathy, appeared, her stern presence halting the clash.

Her judgment was swift—both Angela and I were assigned the task of cleaning the school compound every day for a week. This additional burden crushed me further, intensifying my stress.

I felt broken, lost in a world that had seemingly turned against me. My cherished friendships lay in ruins, my connection with Bryan uncertain, and my emotional landscape a chaotic mess. It was a stark realization—my once treasured friendships had led me down this path of heartache and despair.

_____________________________________

Vote and comment babies. ❤️

I got y'all.