Chapter 5- (Missing Him)

Two weeks have flown by since I made that deal. I can't help but question if the deal I made with Bryan was truly worth it. How strange it is to admit – I miss him. A sigh escapes me, caught between longing and confusion.

My thoughts are momentarily disrupted by Cassie's exasperated voice. "Earth to Leona!" she shouts, waving her hands dramatically. "You're lost in daydreams again."

"I'm not daydreaming, Cassandra," I counter, my voice laced with sadness. "I'm just missing my mom. Seeing everyone with their parents hurts." Although I don't mention Bryan specifically, this is also true. I was missing my mom.

"Hmm, maybe she's just busy," Cassie offers, her comforting pat on my back a small consolation. "I'm sure she'll visit next week."

"I hope so," I whisper, my gaze momentarily distant. "What about you? Didn't see your parents around either."

"My parents are away," Cassie explains. "They'll be back in two weeks. My brother is planning to visit next week, though."

"That's nice," I reply, a hint of envy in my voice. "You have a brother?"

"Yup, an annoying one," Cassie chuckles, the bond of siblinghood evident.

I smirk, "Well, at least you have someone. Being an only child can get boring sometimes."

"Let's switch then," Cassie teases with a laugh. Our conversation continues until Cassie excuses herself.

Later, Sam's voice pierces through my thoughts as he calls out, breathless. "Lee! Lee!" he yells, as though pursued by a predator.

"What's wrong, Sam?" I question, my concern evident. "Why the rush?"

"No real reason, just wanted to walk with you," Sam says, his breath finally settling as we find a bench.

"Mr. Shy," I playfully address him, reminding him of a past memory.

"Why do you call me that?" he protests, his cheeks tinted with embarrassment.

I grin knowingly. "Remember when you came to the cafeteria for help with your physics assignment?"

"Yeah, but I wasn't shy around you. It was Cassie," Sam explains, scratching his head.

A revelation escapes me, "Oh my God! You like her?"

"Used to," Sam admits. "We went to the same junior high, and she was my first crush."

"Why did you stop liking her?" I inquire, a mischievous tone in my voice.

"No particular reason. The feelings just faded. Plus, she never knew about it," Sam confesses.

"Are you sure it's not because of Rita?" I tease, causing a slight frown to crease his brow. Apparently Rita has a huge crush on Sam and the girls and I normally tease him.

"What do you mean?" he asks, perplexed.

"Isn't she your baby girl?" I quip, laughter dancing in my eyes.

"Oh hell no," Sam retorts. "She's rude, and I can't stand her."

"Maybe you should give her a chance," I suggest gently. "People change, you know."

Sam's eyes gleam with mischief as he counters, "And maybe you should give Senior Bryan a chance. He really likes you, and I'm sure you like him too."

My heart skips a beat. "Do I really have feelings for Bryan?"No, that can't be.

"And Rita and I could never work out. I feel nothing for her, unlike you and Senior Bryan," Sam persists, a grin lighting up his handsome features.

Stunned, I struggle to find my voice. "Sam, you're mistaken. I don't like Bryan. His presence just annoys me."

"Your eyes would disagree," Sam teases, a playful nudge accompanying his words.

A laugh escapes me as I tap his head gently. "You're being ridiculous."

"Ouch!" Sam protests, rubbing his head. "Do you have hands of steel?"

"Remember that next time before you say something foolish," I quip, embracing Sam before parting ways.

Walking back to the dorm, I ponder Sam's words. No, he's wrong. I can't possibly like Senior Bryan. I'm determined to hold on to that conviction, come what may.

______________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter guys.

Did Leona say she's missing Bryan?

And does she really like him? Isn't it obvious? What's going to happen?

Read to find out.

Vote, comment and share.

Love,
-Daisy.