FIFTY-FIVE

After meeting with Mother Superior, they decided to take a walk through the woods towards August's trailer. Marco was clearly upset by what they had heard. 

"This is all my fault." He said, staring at the ground as he walked. Mary Margaret shook her head, giving him advice. 

"Our children make their own decisions, Marco. You can't blame yourself for anything that's happened." Marco sighed. 

"Yes, I can. And you should blame me, too." The three women looked at Marco, puzzled. Juliet wondered what Marco could have possibly done to upset anyone. He was such a nice man. "The wardrobe I built for you, the one that transported Emma to this world? She did not go alone." Mary Margaret shook her head, and Juliet was starting to piece it together.

"Of course she did. The wardrobe only had enough magic to transport one person." Marco shook his head to correct her. 

"No. That was a lie that I made the Blue Fairy tell you. It had enough magic to transport two. And it did. Your daughter and my son." That's when Juliet pieced it together. 

Marco had sent August through the wardrobe and that's why August didn't stay a little kid for the past twenty-eight years. She understood why Marco did it, and she felt a little jealous. She wished that her mother would do the same for her, but that would never happen. Mary Margaret didn't seem as understanding as Juliet. 

"I could've gone with her? With Emma?" 

"There is no apology I could give that could ever make up for what I did. But I am so sorry." Mary Margaret punched him in the face. That surprised both Emma and Juliet. Emma tried to calm down her mother. 

"What are you doing? He's apologizing." Mary Margaret looked shocked that she punched him. Marco played it off. 

"No, no. It's okay. I deserved it." Mary Margaret kept her eyes on her hand. 

"No. That wasn't me." She looked up at Marco. "Marco, I am so sorry. I'm not myself. You just made a mistake. I would've done the same thing for my child. I forgive you. You were protecting your son." Marco shook his head.

"No. I burdened him with a weight that no child should have to bear. And I called it love." Juliet noticed the trailer and ran over to it. Marco opened the door to the trailer. They all walked inside. It was a nice trailer, Juliet had to admit. But there was no one in there. 

August was not in the trailer.