Perchance to Dream

Start from the beginning

"I'm not a man," Katsumi pointed out, hoping the lack of female representation meant they had faired better.

"Most women know better," Una replied with a pointed look at Gean. "You should know better too," she told him. "Just because one of your ancestors managed it, doesn't mean—"

"She can't stay like this, Una," Gean retorted strongly. "She can handle it. She's special. I can tell."

"All grandparents think their grandchildren are 'special'," Una retorted dryly.

"We both know that isn't true. Look at what happened to Lugh," Gean said sharing a significant look with her.

"He was special," Una said.

"So is anyone who could survive what she's been through," Gean reminded her. "You know it's true."

"Hmm..." Una's brow furrowed deeply, and she frowned while considering his argument. "That is true... But she's only just regained consciousness. She isn't even fully healed yet."

"I'm not?" Katsumi asked surprised, reminding them that she was still there.

"No, I'm afraid not, child," Una answered sadly. "It'll take years, probably decades before you can completely recover and regain your full strength." Katsumi couldn't hide her disappointment. She didn't feel very weak. She had thought losing her wings would be the worst of it, but she couldn't afford to wait that long to recover. How much of that damage would be permanent? If her previous level of strength wasn't enough, then how could she face Sesshoumaru again now that she was even more pathetic?

"That's exactly why she needs this," Gean insisted on her behalf. "She needs access to her full powers. Otherwise, we may as well stuff an apple in her mouth and serve her up on a platter to that damn bastard Naraku. You do plan on going back to avenge yourself, don't you?" he asked, turning to address her. Katsumi clenched her fist and her fangs showed a little as she gritted her teeth in frustration and anger as she thought of everything Naraku had done to her. Her eyes gained a slight red tinge. She could never forgive him. No way.

"Of course I am," she stated with a grim determination. She didn't know how she would do it in her current state, but she refused to back down. She refused to give in to despair.

"That's a lass," Gean said, smiling proudly. "Well?" he asked Una.

"..." Una stared at Katsumi hard, examining the look on her face and saw the answer in her fierce eyes. Nothing in the world could stop this girl. "Very well," she agreed reluctantly and held out a hand to Katsumi. She was very young, and the younger you were, the easier it was supposed to be. Perhaps because there was less time to accumulate mental scars, sins, and enemies to haunt you. "Come." Katsumi took her hand and let Una lead her over to a specific pool. Una removed the helmet they had put on her to travel there that blocked mind-reading. She wouldn't be needing it once she was in the pool. "There will be a road or a path of some sort. Follow it. It will guide you through your quest. Do not leave it for any reason, or you'll be lost forever. Understand? Now, step into the pool and lay down. Let your body float, and close your eyes. The water will do the rest." Katsumi did as she was told. The water was surprisingly warm. Her eyelids grew heavy as soon as she lay back. She closed them and descended into darkness as her body sank just beneath the surface, completely immersed. The plain white robe they had given her floated around her. "All we can do now is wait," Una said with restrained concern.

Katsumi waited for something to happen, but minutes passed by with nothing. "Um... Okay, what do I do now?" she asked aloud. "Una? Grandpa?" No answer. 'Weird,' Katsumi thought as she opened her eyes. She blinked as light filled them again, and waited for them to adjust. Katsumi was surprised to find herself in garden, but not just any old garden—a botanical wonderland. The scale and style of the layout reminded her of a park. Despite the detail, there was something dreamlike about her surroundings, as if they weren't entirely real. "Does this mean... I'm in my inner world?" she wondered aloud. She noticed that she was standing on a path made of yellow bricks. "Really?" she said, amused and a little incredulous at herself. "A yellow brick road? For real?" Could she get any cheesier? "Well, at least it's clearly marked." Without further ado, she started down the path. She crossed a bridge and heard someone singing. She stopped. It sounded like her own voice. She looked in the direction it was coming from and saw herself as a human, digging up the dirt and sprinkling seeds. A bundle of picked flowers sat beside her.