Magatsuhi

"Kohaku-kun, how are you doing?" Kagome asked while she worked on purifying his shard. They had regrouped to a nice spot by the river.

"Yeah... I'm a lot better..." Kohaku said.

"I probably can't purify this as well as Kikyo, but..." Kagome said.

"..." Kohaku looked down. "Back then..."

"Eh?" Kagome said.

"When Naraku tried to take my shard... when his tentacle touched me, a purifying light flowed into my shard," Kohaku said.

"From Naraku's tentacle...?" Kagome asked.

"It seemed to hurt him," Katsumi said.

"It was as if Kikyo-sama was purifying me," Kohaku said.

'So that means... inside of Naraku, there's still some of Kikyo's power...?' Kagome thought. She remembered how Kanna told her light would kill Naraku. 'That image that Kanna showed me before she died... a point of light inside the corrupted shikon no tama... That light is Kikyo's...'

"And...?" Sango said.

"Eh...?" Kagome said.

"Kohaku, did you... think that you could defeat Naraku with your shard?" Sango asked.

"Sango-chan..." Kagome said.

"Ane-ue..." Kohaku said.

"I think Naraku's plan was to take Kohaku's head, and then corrupt the shard in his neck slowly..." Katsumi said.

"Eeh?" Kagome said.

"Katsumi-sama!" Kohaku said.

"So you're in danger!" Rin said, concerned.

"At one point, he wanted to split up," Katsumi added. "I think we all agree that wouldn't have gone well."

"But, Ane-ue, it's certain that my shard causes Naraku pain!" Kohaku said. "Kikyo-sama's power is still at work! So..."

"Would you just shut up already!?" Inuyasha said, punching him on the head.

"I... Inuyasha..." Kagome said.

"What do you think you're doing?" Katsumi asked, sweat-dropping.

"Geez. You're prodding him gingerly like a welt," Inuyasha said. "Sango, just tell him outright! That this is annoying and he needs to just get to the point."

"Inuyasha..." Sango said.

"..." Kagome stared at him. "Sit." Inuyasha slammed into the ground.

"What for?" Inuyasha asked.

"I couldn't help it this time," Kagome said. "Sesshoumaru isn't here, and you're being violent in front of little ones."

"L... Little ones, meaning me?" Jaken said, surprised.

"Jaken-sama, you are little," Rin said.

"No... It's as Inuyasha said," Sango said. "This isn't just a problem for today. Kohaku... you are weak in both body and heart." Kohaku was startled. "Therefore, Naraku is going to try to take advantage of the weakness in your heart, and that's not something you can drive away by fighting alone. Do you understand that?"

"Y... Yes..." Kohaku said, looking down. 'Though it pains me...'

"Kohaku-kun, like you said, I'm sure Kikyo left her power in the shard," Kagome said. "Therefore, please take care of what Kikyo entrusted... you with."

'Kikyo-sama...' Kohaku thought. "R... Right..."

"You remember the lesson my mother taught me? You also need to value your own life more," Katsumi added. "Everyone here would be sad if you died. Shut up Jaken."