Dark Planet (Part 2)

Third Person POV

      Shadow noiselessly trekked down the halls of the base to his personal quarters alone. Omega had gone to his charging station down in the garage, and Rouge had slipped out to go on another one of her secret jewelry heists. With the rest of Team Dark off doing their own thing, that left him plenty of time to think about the mission ahead. He wanted to take a look at the intercepted transmission, but he knew everyone else had already gone to bed, and he didn't have the clearance level to access it. It was late for most humans and mobians, except for the nocturnal ones, and he didn't feel like waking anyone up. He may be quiet, sharp, and brutally honest at times, but he had a few manners as well. He would ask about it tomorrow. 

     Just as he was about to open the door to his bedroom, he suddenly had another idea. It had been a long time, but if he was going to space, he might as well. Muttering his classic phrase, Shadow warped down into the solitary confinement block of GUN's base. There was almost zero lighting, which wasn't a problem for his night vision, and he quietly stalked past the line of empty cells. He had yet to come across any guards, so his senses were at an all time high. He was risking a lot coming down here, especially before a mission.

    "Well, well, well," a voice echoed from the last cell, "to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" 

     The sound of movement and chains clanking together reverberated in his ear drums. When the noise settled, he crossed his arms. 

    "I came to check up on you. I'll be gone for some time," he replied, keeping his voice low and controlled. 

    "Oh, so now you care about me, hm?" the other scoffed, and sharp reptilian eyes stared up at him, "Why are you really here?" 

     "I wasn't lying. You, of all people, should know that. I do want to know if they are treating you fairly, but I also want to ask you a question." 

    "There it is! The question. You may be honest, Shadow, but you are also known as one with ulterior motives." 

    The ebony agent sighed. There was simply no reasoning with the one in the cell, "That is not as true as you believe, however, my time is short and I didn't come here to argue." 

     Movement could be heard, and he imagined the prisoner was making himself comfortable against the wall dividing them. Shadow slumped against the same wall, his senses alert even if his body was relaxed. 

"Yes, I am well looked after. The food is a bit bland, but they never give me anything fresh," he rambled, "So what's this oh-so-important question you have for me?"

         "What did your home look like?" 

   Shadow could almost see the confusion radiating off the other before it turned to rage. "You know very well what it looked like! You destroyed it!" 

    "That's not the home I was referring to," he retorted, his voice dropping a few octaves lower than it already was. A heavy silence filled the area, and the captive mulled over the response carefully. 

     "Why do you ask this? You never wanted to hear about anything to do with us, Ultimate Lifeform." 

    "Classified, but I need to know, just in case."

   "Just in case of what?" he continued, "In case you somehow stumble upon it? In case your precious humans dare to trespass on it? Come now, Shadow, you truly are a sad case if you can't share a few details with me." 

    "What did it look like?" Shadow pressed, ignoring the remarks. The other growled at him in reply. 

    "You would know," he answered in a lower voice, "You only ask because you doubt your instincts. But if you are going where I think you are, then I must warn you."

   "Warn me? Careful, you're starting to sound like you care about me," Shadow smirked. 

    "Shut up and listen!" he snapped, "Word travels fast, especially after something like you just did. Be careful. I may hate you, but I don't want to hear that kind of news from the mouth of a human or even from that bat woman you're so fond of. If anyone is to defeat you, it will be me, and me alone."

    "So you are just being selfish by keeping me alive?" he teased lightly, earning a huff in reply. 

    "There is someone you need to know about, if you're thinking about leaving the planet," the prisoner continued, his voice fading close to the end of sentence, as if he wasn't sure about his next choice of words. 

     Shadow disregarded his uncertainty, "Who?" 

  "Someone you don't want to cross. Keep your guard up at all times. Don't let anyone slip inside. There are many who fear your power, Shadow, and I am not just talking about the people of Earth. This planet's atmosphere is strong enough to repel most invaders, but once you step outside, you could very well be wandering into a trap." 

    Shadow nodded, though the gesture was most likely missed in the darkness, "Thank you...I'll remember that," he said and climbed to his feet. The clanging sound inside the cell told him the captive was doing the same. Vermilion orbs met citrine for a few rapid seconds before turning away.

     "You better, oh, and Shadow?" 

 "Yes?" he asked while glancing over his shoulder. 

     "How are they? They are safe and hidden still? I trusted you with that, even if it pains my two hearts to say it out loud." 

     Shadow smirked knowingly to himself, "Don't worry. They are still secret to everyone but you and me. They aren't evil, so I had no reason to harm them. They miss you, though, that much I can say. When I return, I will negotiate with the Commander, see if I can get you out of this prison cell." 

     "What's made you so generous? You're the one who put me in here in the first place." 

     "Because I can't take those little devils messing with my quills any longer," he replied, attempting a joke even if it was mostly true, "See you in three weeks. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone." 

   "How can I?" the other replied with a surprising lightness in his tone, "You're taking all of the stupid with you." 

    Shadow rolled his eyes, "Good night," he called before teleporting to his room in a green flash.

      "Good night...brother," Ecplise sighed and crawled back over to his cot, glancing back at the door one last time.

I Am...All of MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara