To Catch a Hybird (Sequel to Strange Sight)

A Shadicks Story (Part 3)

A day earlier

    "So to sum it up, Shadow is basically a walking government conspiracy," Sonic said. But in the shade behind the blue blur's humble shack watched T. W. Barker, the villainous ringmaster of Bygone Island who had teamed up with Eggman on a few occasions. He had listened to the whole ordeal of the feared black hybrid's past, and he himself admitted that it was an intriguing tale. He grinned and chuckled to himself as a plan to capture the lone antihero formed in his mind. Shadow didn't like anyone and preferred to be alone, only ever seen when he had to be, and the good doctor's outburst earlier that day had helped spread fearful rumors in general public.

       "I think a visit to the good Dr. Eggman is in order," he said to himself and stalked off. 

     The devious wolf waited impatiently outside the mad scientist's not so secret base and knocked again viciously. The metal door finally swung open to reveal the island's arguably most renown villain in his usual attire. 

     "What do you want, Barker? A new gadget for your circus?" the human demanded. The wolf only grinned knowingly. 

      "Actually, after that rather interesting exchange between yourself and Shadow earlier, I followed that crew of meddlesome heroes and heard the full story. It turns out that the black menace isn't as villainous as I thought."

       "And why should I care what you know about Shadow's past?" 

      Barker inspected his claws gingerly as he replied, "I thought he would make a great addition to my show. The Infamous Shadow, Alien Hybrid, Most Deadly Creation in the World! One night only, well, perhaps two," he announced as if he were already on stage. Eggman stroked his mustache as he thought about it. 

      "And how do you plan on convincing him to join?"

   "That, my dear ingenious friend, is where we become partners. I split a portion of the profits, you provide the necessary devices to hold him, and we both witness the fall and public humiliation of a common enemy. And maybe even capture the Sonic Team as an added bonus?"

      Eggman smirked and shook hands with the mobian, "It's a deal."

    Time skip to after "He's a What?!" brought to you by Silver the Hedgehog! ;)

        The Sonic team, plus Shadow, were gathered inside Sonic's house after the unexpected tiff earlier that evening. By now the sun was almost completely set over the horizon, and stars were shining above the island. 

     Shadow stood a few feet away from the main crowd, his burn almost fully healed, but Sticks had insisted she wrap it. He was a loner by nature, and wasn't used to being around so many people for so long or letting them take care of him.. They were going on about why Eggman had attacked so soon for almost no reason, and the black hedgehog was only vaguely paying attention. That is, until a question caught his ear.

    "Why would Eggman go after Sticks? He knows that none of us are separated for very long," Amy stated. It suddenly clicked in the antihero's mind.

     "He wasn't after her," he answered, "He didn't even know she was there until she started fighting. He wanted me."

     "Why would he be after you? I mean, you totally trashed his robots, not to mention you nearly killed him like, how many times?" Tails asked. The dark hedgehog shrugged, and Sticks wondered just how dangerous he really was if he was able to pass off his attacks as easily as he did. 

     "Don't forget you almost destroyed the universe a couple of months ago," Knuckles added. Shadow glared at the echidna. 

             "That was a one time thing."