Hedgehogs and Pixie Dust Epilogue (Sequel to Awake and Alive)

A few weeks later...

Shadow smirked mischeviously from his hiding place around the corner, peaking to watch as Commander Towers made his way to his private office. He waited quietly, doing his best not to give away his position.

The dual-eyed human opened the door to his office and walked inside, not expecting the bucket of cold water to splash on top of him.

Shadow instantly cupped a hand over his mouth to hold in his laughter, even though a few snickers escaped. He ducked his head around the corner to find his superior dripping wet and in the worst mood he had seen in a long time, and somehow found that hilarious.

The bucket trick was a classic, but it still worked. He turned around, planning to make a quick getaway, when he came nose to nose with his partner, which made him physically jump in surprise.

"Rouge! Ehehe, what are you doing here?" he asked, trying to pass it off as if he didn't just prank his boss. Scratch that, their boss. Rouge wasn't buying it. Actually, she looked positively miffed.

"I was looking for you," she replied and crossed her arms over her chest, "What do think you're doing?"

"Lower your voice!" he whisper-shouted and made shushing motions.

"Why?" she asked, purposfully raising her voice. Realization hit her, and she facepalmed, "What did you do this time?"

"Now is really not the time to discuss this," he pleaded and tried to lead her away from the scene of the crime.

"Shadow! Stop! What happened?" she demanded, pulling her hand out of his.

"Can we talk about this later?"

"No!" she argued, placing both hands on her hips, "We talk about this now. What did you do?"

A firm voice interrupted both of them, "Agent Shadow. Agent Rouge."

The two mobians turned around to find a sopping wet Commander Towers glaring at both of them. Rouge's jaw dropped, and she stared at her partner, who was rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"You didn't."

"If I agree to that, can we all go our separate ways?"

The commander didn't get a chance to speak, as Rouge exploded, "Shadow the Hedgehog! What were you thinking! You've done some pretty crazy stuff recently, but this takes the cake! I don't know why you thought pranking our commander would be a good idea, but you really need to stop."

"It was just a prank," Shadow argued, his secret mischief peaking through, "This place is so boring. Why not try to liven things up a bit? And the air hasn't been working up here in ages. The water probably cooled him off!"

Both mobians had seemed to forget that their commander was still standing there watching them, as Rouge continued, "What's gotten into you, lately? You're making me look like the serious one! If you want to pull stunts like this, do them on Sonic or the Chaotix, or somebody besides the one that can get you fired."

Shadow rolled his eyes, figuring that if he wanted to live, he had to surrender, for now, "Fine. I won't do it again, but seriously, if I'm the one causing trouble then there is a definite lack of excitement around here."

Rouge sighed, "Then go on a run or something, but please stop causing chaos around here. Captain Andrews is still getting over the sneezing powder you put in his helmet."

Shadow grinned and covered his chuckle with his fist, "I'm actually pretty proud of that one. That was hilarious."

"Shadow, be serious," Rouge groaned before gasping, "I never thought I would have to say those words."

The dark agent shrugged and put one hand on his heart and the other in the air in a mock pledge, "Don't worry. From here on out I shall cause no further disturbances of any kind to the G.U.N. Happy now?"

"For now," she replied, narrowing her eyes in deep thought, though she was distracted by the beautiful sapphire dangling from his neck.

"Good. Then, if it is all the same to you, I shall take my leave," he answered and strode off without another word.

Rouge sighed to herself and turned around to look up at her boss, "I'm sorry about all this, Commander. I don't know what's gotten into him lately. One minute he's the same as ever, and the next he's pulling stuff like this. I don't know what's wrong with him."

With Shadow

Shadow sighed and leaned against the wall of the elevator. He lifted the sapphire amulet up where he could see it and stared thoughtfully at his reflection. Why can't I keep myself under control? I need to be more careful. I'll be lucky if I don't get fired for doing that. Even if it was amusing, it still wasn't right. I need to find a way to make it up to the Commander.

Shadow reached into his quills and pulled out a small wrapped piece of chocolate. He unraveled it and popped it into his mouth, savoring the sweet flavor of it for as long as it lasted, which wasn't long enough in his opinion. The elevator doors slid open, and he strode out, nodding to any agents that made eye contact before he entered Team Dark's shared office space. Omega was already inside, uploading files from their last mission.

How was your mission, Agent Shadow?

"Good," he replied, hiding his grin. After his first prank, he found that it was better if he called them 'mission's instead, "It went smoothly. Only a little interferece, but nothing I couldn't handle."

Would this mission be similar to the one with Sergeant Milo and the tripwire? Omega queried, and Shadow halted.

"How did you--?"

These "missions" you go on have a very short timeframe and are often linked to the trouble that has been going on around base. All data links you to these incidents. Warning advised. People could be seriously injured should these acts of mischief continue, the robot droned, making Shadow's ears fall. He knew what he was doing wasn't morally right, but he was still trying to figure out a way of limiting his inner troublemaker.

"I understand," he sighed, "Tell Rouge that I'm leaving early. See you later, Omega."

Instructions understood. Farewell, Agent Shadow.

The sable hedgehog nodded and chaos controlled out of the base. Milliseconds later, he reappeared in a familiar patch of woods just in front of small cabin. An old brown bear in a blue robe hobbled out on to the front porch.

"Hello, young Shadow. Care for some tea? I have a pot brewing inside."

"Yes, thank you. I could really use some," he replied and followed Amonar inside. The wizard chuckled dryly.

"And I'm assuming you would like sugar and advice with that, hm?"