Shadows of the Past (Part 5)

Warning: Contains Shadow abuse. Not too terribly graphic, but just want to give you a heads up.

    Time blurred forward for a much longer time than the previous memories, and Tails explained that were moving to a further point in the future..or past depending on who's perspective. The swirl of images finally slowed down to leave the viewers in a dark laboratory, vaguely lit by the iridescent lights above. The sole inhabitant of the room was a tall, lanky human man with thinning red hair and a crooked nose. Shadow's eyes widened. No...not here. Anywhere but here...

    "Hey, Shads, who's the leprechaun on stilts?" Sonic asked, but surprisingly didn't gain an immediate response either to the question or the nickname, "Shadow? Everything okay, pal?"

    The door slowly began to slide open as the younger version of the Ultimate Lifeform hesitantly entered the lab. Both Shadows lowered their eyes to the floor in sync.

     "You may want to cover Rose and Tails' eyes and ears," Shadow warned, "It's not going to be pretty."

    "What do you mean?" Amy asked worriedly, "Shadow, what happens in this room?"

   "Professor Argus," Young Shadow spoke, "Where's Maria and Professor Gerald?"

    The ginger man smiled a slightly crooked grin that twisted Sonic's insides, "Oh, they are taking care of business elsewhere. Today, it is just you and I for the examinations."

    "But Maria is always with me for those," the naive hedgehog argued, his voice laced with confusion. Argus layed a firm hand on his shoulder and directed him to an operating table, already prepared.

    "I know, but this is a kind of test Gerald wouldn't want her to be present for. Now, be a good hedgehog and hop up here for me."

    Young Shadow slowly obeyed and did as the scientist instructed. Argus had him lying on his back and strapped him to the table with special bands designed to withstand any resistance the project could give.

   "Professor Argus? Is this really necessary?"

   Modern Shadow tried to direct the other spectators away but with little success. The towering scientist put on a surgical mask and gloves and grabbed a scalpel.

    "I'm afraid so, Project. You see, the old man has grown too soft around you. He has begun to think his little expirement had a real soul, like any other person, which is impossible. And because of his weakness, he is unable to continue doing what is demanded, and that, project is where I come in."

    The younger Shadow began to struggle against his bonds as Argus drew nearer. The human placed a hand on his fluffy white chest, as if to calm him down before he began to angle the tool in his hand downward.

    "Now, I will assure you," he stated, "This will be very painful, even for you."

    Present Shadow pulled the others back and told them not to look. Sonic covered Tails' ears and pulled the other close while he could only watch in mute horror. Amy gasped and held her hands to her lips, eyes shining with tears, and even Knuckles gaped in shock.

    "No! Please!" Young Shadow whimpered between screams and tears of his own, "It hurts! Make it stop! Why!?"

   Argus paused before continuing his operation casually, "Why? A rather simple question. We need to know what exactly makes you tick, and the only way to do that is the same way with every other creation, by opening it up and taking a look."

    Sonic held a fist to his mouth, "I think I'm gonna be sick!"

   "Graah! Stupid healing factor!" Argus fumed and grabbed a needle from his surgical tray. Without a second hesitation, he injected the substance into Young Shadow's exposed heart, making the hedgehog roar in pain.

   "That should slow it down, since it has more important things to do than seal open wounds. You truly are such a curious creature, even if you are an abomination to life itself. Monsters like you shouldn't be allowed to live, in my opinion. Shame I have to leave you alive."

    "Please....stop...Maria, where are you?"

   "How pathetic," the man grumbled, "Calling out to a derelict girl who can't even help herself. You must be the most loyal lap dog I've ever seen."

   "Don't...talk about...my Maria like that..."

   "Then maybe I should operate on your tongue to shut you up!" he argued before deciding to ignore him and continue with his work, despite the tearful, but weakening protests. He did however, knick his blade into the hedgehog's larynx, damaging his vocal chords. Argus smirked devilishly as he discovered a small, unknown organ behind on of his "patient's" lungs.

    "Now I wonder what would happen if I pressed this, hm?"

   Young Shadow screamed and instinctively tried to curl himself inward, coughing up blood as he did so. The invisible onlookers could barely stand being forced to watch, and Knuckles was already adjusting his gloves.

    "Save it. It's too late for that," Modern Shadow spoke up for the first time since the operation began. All eyes quickly turned to him, but they didn't know what to say. After several long minutes, Argus finished his gruesome work and washed up, leaving the defenseless hedgehog strapped to the table as he calmly walked out without a word.

    "No...let me go! Let me GO!" Young Shadow cried and vainly tried to pull himself off, only to quit as everything that had happened washed over him, and he faded in unconsciousness. The time travellers slowly gathered around, all of them wishing they could open the restraints, but they also stated in wonder as his body began to heal itself until it looked exactly the same as before.

   "H-How could someone do this to you," Amy asked and turned to the ebony hedgehog.

    "I was different. That's all there really is to it," he replied.

   "Shadow?" a muffled voice called from outside the room, "Shadow where are you? Now isn't the time to play games! Grandfather and I have been looking for you! Shadow! Shadow!"

  A ten year old  Maria peaked her head into the room her baby blue eyes landed on a still form on a surgery table. She ran to her best friend's side and gasped in horror, fearing the absolute worse. Tears openly flowed from her eyes as she nudged his face gently.

    "Grandfather!" she screamed, "Hurry! Help!"

   The aging form of Gerald Robotnik rushed into the lab. He stopped abruptly at his granddaughter's side and kept back a choke with his large hand covering his mouth and most of his mustache.

    "Maria, help me unfasten him. We don't have much time," he ordered, and she complied wirhout question.

    "Oh, Shadow...please be okay," she whispered.

   Once the young hedgehog was free, Gerald scooped him gently into his arms, and the hybrid jerked and fell out of his grip. His muscles spasmed violently for several long seconds. Maria knelt down beside him, despite her elder's warnings, and tried to calm him down.

    "M-Maria?" he croaked, eyes open but glassed over. She breathed as many silent praises as she could and pulled him onto her lap, burrowing his face into the crook of her neck.

    "Oh, Shadow," she cried and stroked his quills, "You're gonna be okay. I promise."