Shadows of the Past (Part 8)

In the previous chapter, I accidently put Maria as 13. She is not. I just wanted to clarify that she is still 10. Thx.

   The team of time travelers had grown accustomed to the shifting scenery as they once again appeared in another point in time, but what they had arrived in was not what they expected. All around them was complete darkness, except for a single, dull red light flashing above what could only be assumed to be a door. The five anthros held their breaths, listening for anything. After a few long seconds, muffled sniffs could be heard somewhere in the room followed by two distinct voices on the other side of the door.

    "He hasn't come out ever since they left breakfast," an unknown male voice stated outside the door, loud enough for them to hear.

    "Strange," Gerald's voice replied, "Has Maria told you or anyone else what happened?"

    "No, she only asked us to check on him. We've tried to open the door, but he won't let us in. Doctor, do you think he could be unstable after yesterday's expirement? He was acting normal, but could it have been a delayed reaction?"

    "No, I don't think so...," the professor's projecting voice trailed off, "I have never seen him react to the point of locking himself away. That's simply never happened before. Whatever caused this must have happened some time this morning. I will see if I can talk to him. Thank you, Brent."

    "Anytime, sir. Let me know if you run into any trouble," the younger man replied, and the sound of footsteps signalled that he had walked away. The stillness did not last long, as Gerald knocked firmly on the metal door.

    "Shadow? Shadow, my boy, please let me in. I need to speak with you."

     Tails' ear twitched at the sound of something shuffling at the far corner of the room, followed by an almost feral whine.

    "Shadow, I can assure you that you aren't in any sort of trouble. I just want to talk."

   A sniff, but still no vocal reply. Movement could be heard outside followed by the sound of typing. Artificial light flooded the room as the door slid open, illuminating the rotund human's silhouette, but also revealing the state of the room...

    Scorched claw marks littered the walls and floors, and deep gashes scarred the small bookshelf. The remains of what once had been a bed or cot was nothing more than shreds of fabric. Wooden splinters and half of a table leg were the sole remains of the small work desk and chair. Ashes flaked across the floor, the destroyed furniture, and even clung to the air in some cases. It wasn't until they looked at the farthest corner of the room, which was a deep, sooty black, that they found a ball of quaking crimson and ebony quills.

    It was clear that Pro. Gerald had no idea what to think of the disaster area, but he knew that the only way to get answers was to get the shivering orb to open up. He cautiously stepped closer to the corner until he was only a few feet away before he decided to speak.

    "Shadow?" he began gently, "Open up. Tell me what's wrong."

     The ball uncurled, and Young Shadow reappeared in a position no one had ever seen him in. His knees were drawn close his chest, where he held them by holding his arms, and his face was buried in them, quills rattling slightly.

    "S-S-Stay away from me, Professor," he whispered, eyes still not daring to meet the other's concerned gaze.

    "Shads, what's going on?" Sonic whispered, only to be elbowed in the gut by Amy.

    "Shut up and watch," Knuckles replied in the same low voice.

    "Shadow? My boy, what's wrong?" Gerald pressed and laid a soothing hand on the lifeform's shoulder, as he knelt to get a better look. A big mistake, he soon realized.