Nightlight (Sequel to A Rose in Need)

It was close to sunset by the time Shadow got back to faker's house. Healing an entire garden took most of his energy, so much that he couldn't even activate his skates, leaving him to only fly as fast as his new wings would allow.

The sun was drawing ever closer to the horizon when he landed on the open windowsill of the house. They must have left it open for him. The kitchen was clean, surprisingly, and Sonic was on the couch watching tv with a pizza slice in hand. He took a quick glance at the dark pixie and waved.

"Took you a while," he commented absently. Shadow rolled his eyes and flew inside. The azure hero pointed at the kitchen table, "Tails looked up things pixies like to eat, so we left ya some supper."

"Where is he?"

"Down in his lab working on something. We ate a while ago."

He glanced at the fruit conveniently cut his size and variety of sweets, as well as a teacup of milk. He guessed that it was the smallest cup they had. Even if he didn't get along with Sonic, the blue speed demon and his genius friend had taken the time to help him. And believe or not, Shadow did have manners at one time.

"Thank you," he said rather hesitantly but loud enough for his rival to hear. Sonic sat up a little bit and cocked his head sideways.

"Did you really just say thank you?"

"I won't say it often," Shadow remarked, although it was lacking its usual sting, "You and the fox have helped me greatly. I would be a fool not to acknowledge that fact. But...this is my problem. I'll stay the night, if you allow me, and leave in the morning."

Sonic's eyes showed a hint of pity. Of course Shads would try to handle this thing all by himself! But that didn't mean he should. He remembered when he had turned into a werehog, and if it hadn't been for Chip, he probably wouldn't be the same hedgehog he was today. And right now, Shadow needed a friend like that too, whether he wanted it or not.

"You're not doing this alone," he said with determination that surprised the fae, "I was once forced to transform into something I didn't like either, and it helps to have someone that'll have your back. You need a place to crash at night and something to eat too. Let us help you, until you get back to normal. After all, it's kinda my fault too."

Shadow stared up at Sonic with a mild look of surprise. He was willing to help his greatest rival? Someone whom he fought with every time they were together? Must be a hero's code or something, he mused. After a second thought he nodded.

"Okay. Thanks, faker."

"No prob, Shads," he replied with a wink.

"I do have one question though."

"What is it?"

"Do I really sound like a bell when I talk?" he asked with a slight grimace. Sonic laughed a little.

"Yep, sure do. Sometimes, it's hard to hear what your saying over it."

Shadow facepalmed, "What does it sound like?"

"It changes," he answered simply, "When your upset about something it's usually low, but it tends to be higher when your in a good mood, like a wind chime almost. There've been a couple times today when you've said nothing at all, and it would ring."

"Just great," the dark pixie grumbled under his breath with his arms crossed and ruby eyes averting emeralds, "I've got a bell that shouts what I'm thinking to the world."

"See? That time it was lower, so you must not be happy about something."

"That's because it keeps yelling what I'm thinking to the world and I can't even hear it!" he fumed, and Sonic covered his ears.