Blowing Cover

It had been a solid month since Shadow had completed his undercover operation and successfully taken down a local, notorious crime ring. However, gossip still ran thick throughout the ranks of the GUN of how he allegedly held a romantic relationship with the only female member of the ring, and thus his "stellar" reputation had forever been tarnished.

Sasha, he thought with a audible growl, that cat is nothing but bad luck.

"Still pining after your girlfriend, handsome?" Rouge grinned as she sauntered into Team Dark's private office. The pencil in Shadow's hand was promptly snapped in half.

"She was not my girlfriend," he grumbled. His partner would never let the subject drop.

"Hey, that's what Big Blue said about Pinkie, and look at how cozy those two have been getting lately," she sang.

"I'm not that idiot faker," Shadow hmphed. Rouge's painted eyelids lowered in a friendly tease.

"Of course not. He's not into bad girls."

"Rouge!" Shadow snapped, slamming his hands on his desk, "For the last time, nothing happened between us! It was all her!"

"Whatever you say, honey," the bat grinned and checked her nails casually, obviously not believing a word he said, "I have to go upstairs and check with the big man about our next mission. Wanna come with?"

Shadow sighed, "If it will put an end to your constant nagging, then sure."

"Wanna join us, big guy?" Rouge asked, tilting her head up to meet Omega's unblinking gaze.

Yes. I hope our next mission will require maximum amount of carnage to Eggman's worthless robot army.

"I'm going to take that as a 'sure'," she chuckled, and the trio made their way up to the Commander's office.

...

Shadow's ear twitched at the sound of his boss talking to someone already inside. Rouge knocked on the door, and the conversation stopped.

"Come in!" Commander Towers ordered. Shadow followed Rouge into the room, his crimson eyes landing on a very familiar black cat sitting on his superior's desk. The ebony agent stopped his tracks, and it took him a moment to realize his mouth was hanging open. The femme fatale greeted him with a Cheshire smile.

"Hi, Shadsy. Miss me?"

      Sasha the Cat was sitting on the edge of the Commander's desk, one leg crossed over the other and her fluffy tail draped across her lap. She had traded the bright orange of her prison garb for a white and red jumpsuit similar to her old one that fit a little too snuggly in his opinion. Great. Another Rouge, he thought, crossing his arms and sending the hedgehog version of the "batglare" to the feline grinning at him.

     " Ah, Team Dark, I was just about to send for you," Towers stated, interrupting the stare down between the two mobians, "Meet your new teammate, Sasha the Cat."

     " WHAT!?" Shadow demanded, his blood-freezing gaze now turned on the human, "No! Absolutely not! I refuse to work with this woman!"

    "Awe, don't be like that, Shadsy. You and I work so well together," Sasha giggled, lowering her eyelids halfway in a sly smirk.

     "Don't call me, fleabag."

    "Now now, darling. You know that is no way to address a lady," the cat grinned smugly.

    "You're no lady," he shot back fiercely, inwardly cursing the amount of bad luck that had been following him around since he had met the her. Guess it's true what they say when a black cat crosses your path.