Deep Cover

Shadow scanned his surroundings before entering the windowless building. The low lighting forced him to blink a few times before his eyes adjusted, and he jerked his worn leather jacket to reposition it. A variety of scents he didn't even want to identify bombarded his nose as he made his way deeper into the large room, swiftly maneuvering around the other people and poker tables scattered throughout. His gaze landed on a tiger with a mangled ear standing in a guard position in front of a closed door. Within moments he was standing directly in front of the rather muscular feline, and their eyes locked for a split-second.

    "Terrence," Shadow greeted with a short nod, never breaking his stare.

    "Ghost," he replied, cocking a knowing grin as he grabbed the door handle, "The boss will see you."

    Shadow nodded, "Good."

   "Sasha's in there too, along with the others," the tiger added, his grin becoming more mischevious, and Shadow rolled his eyes.

    "Whatever you think you heard floating around isn't true," he remarked and finally entered the private room.

   "Sure it isn't," he heard the cat reply, but he didn't get the chance to address it, as his presence was immediately noticed by the other occupants of the room.

    "Well if it isn't my favorite hedgehog!" a booming voice called. An old, black bear lifted his bushy arms in Shadow's direction with a broad smile. The red-streaked hedgehog took the cue and strode over to the bear, granting him a quick, and slightly awkward hug, before pulling away.

    "It is good to see you again, Ghost. Come. Sit. We have much to discuss," he said and patted the empty seat beside him. Shadow took the chair and glanced at the other inhabitants of the room. Another black bear, several years younger than the one beside him, with a dark blue echidna on his left and a brown bat on his right. A red hawk and an orange lion. The final member was the only female, a black cat in a tight red leather body suit. Her golden eyes never left his, and Shadow quickly dodged her gaze. The tension in the room just became stifling.

Meanwhile

"Hey, Tails, look it's Shadow!" Sonic pointed across the street, where the familiar silhouette of his rival could be seen standing outside of a rundown building before disappearing inside. "Huh, I wonder what he's up to," the blue blur mused.

  "And why is he wearing a jacket? I thought he said temperatures didn't bother him," Tails thought aloud, and Sonic grinned.

  "Well, let's go ask him! C'mon!" he cheered and grabbed his little brother before zooming across the street in a azure streak. He recklessly dodged the oncoming traffic with Tails screaming in panic.

   "And here we are!" Sonic chirped and set the shivering fox down. Tails punched his shoulder, "Ow! Hey, what was that for?"

    "Don't do that again without a warning!" he snapped, and the blue blur chuckled nervously.

    "Okay okay. Lesson learned, now come on! Let's go find Shads."

    Sonic strolled over to the door and opened it halfway before slamming it shut and pressed his back against hit. The orange kitsune tilted his head curiously, a habit he picked up from his big bro.

    "Sonic? What's the matter?"

  "Sorry, lil bro, but you can't go in there."

         "Why?"

   "There are many reasons why I don't let you come to this side of town by yourself, and this is one of them. I swore to look after you, and that includes keeping you out of bad places."

   Tails crossed his arms with a disbelieving look, "I help you fight a mad scientist with a thousand different weapons that could vaporize us instantly. What could possibly be so dangerous?"