Growing Powers (Sequel to A New Dawn)

"Oh, come on now, Shadow, hun, can't I hold it for just a few minutes?" Rouge pleaded.

This had been going on for a long time. While the two mobians and robot continued to clean their luxury apartment, Rouge would try to talk her partner into letting her take a look at the jewel he was so strict about wearing, and he repeatedly turned her down.

    "Like I said the time before and the time before that, my answer is still no," he sighed. A glimpse at the clock told him it had only been an hour after lunch.

     "But why? Ever since you've had it, you're never seen without it. I just want to hold it. Maybe you can tell me why it means so much to you?"

    "I can wear what I want. There, end of story."

   "But why do you have to tempt me with such an exquisite gem? It's practically calling to me!"

     "Rouge, drop it. Nothing you say will make me take it off. Now let's finish up; I need a run."

    The white bat rolled her eyes but decided to give him some space, "Fine. You don't have to be so snappy about it. And I just finished wiping the table, so I think we're done. You?"

    "I'm done," he replied and placed the broom back in its usual resting place. But just as he was about to leave, Omega came inside from the balcony that extended from the living room, carrying two pots of wilted plants. Team Dark had been too busy to properly care for them. Shadow's head tilted in curiosity.

       "What are you doing, Omega?"

   These carbon based lifeforms are no longer functional and must therefore be discarded.

    "Hey, let's not jump to conclusions," he stepped in, "Sure, we haven't been home in a while, but I'm certain a little time and effort will have them taken care of."

    "Shadow, they're just plants. We can buy new ones any time we want," Rouge spoke up, crossing her arms and leaning against the kitchen island as she did so.

    "Just let me take them," the dark agent insisted and took the two plants out of the robot's arms. He balanced the two oversized jars with both hands and opened the glass door to the balcony with his foot.

    Once outside he placed them back on the ground and knelt to get a better look at them, being sure to keep his back to the door. He really didn't want them seeing this.

I know he said to limit using any magic, but just a little wouldn't hurt, right? he thought, as his hand began to glow with golden energy. He lightly brushed his hand on the two withered plants, and he released a tiny, closed-lip smile as they began to revive.

The smile faded, however, when they began growing too fast, till they were in full bloom, which shouldn't have happened. I only wanted to make them look like they weren't dead. How am I supposed to cover this up?!

     "Shadow, everything okay, handsome?" Rouge's sultry voice asked as she stepped out on to the balcony. Turquoise eyes instantly trained on the thriving terrace plants in surprise, "How on earth did you do that?"

    He shrugged, "It just sort of happened." It wasn't the whole truth, but it wasn't a total lie either. She placed her hands on her hips, amused but not convinced.

    "It just happened? Is there something you're not telling me, handsome? You've always been a terrible liar."

    "Or maybe I've just been around you too long," he quipped and stood, "Chaos Control!"

     The albino sighed and shook her head, "You and your secrets, handsome."

     Omega stomped out on to the balcony, his head swiveling from side to side like he was searching for someone.