Coffee (Sequel to Mission on the Red Carpet)

It was a beautiful morning in Westopolis as Rouge woke up from a good night's sleep. After effectively stirring herself awake and doing her normal morning routine, she changed out of her purple silk pajamas and into her normal black and pink body suit. By the time she was ready, she glanced at the clock with a knowing grin.

    "3...2...1," she counted down. There was a firm knock at the door and her smile grew while she whispered, "You're getting predictable, Shads." 

    "So are you," he replied casually when she opened the door, surprising her with his attuned hearing. As she stepped out, he handed her a coffee mug literally with her name on it, "Two sugars and caramel creamer with a touch of milk, hot but not scalding."

    "Mmmm," she sighed as she took a long sip, "It's perfect. Thanks, babe."

    "You're wel--wait. What did you just call me?"

   That made Rouge laugh, nearly spilling the precious coffee her partner had prepared as they walked down the street, "Oh don't worry about it. I think it's cute."

   Shadow rolled his eyes at yet another degrading nickname he had been given, "Just..please don't call me that in public. It might give people the wrong impression."

   She glanced up at the sable hedgehog, eyes half-lidded and fangs glistening in amusement, "And that's a bad thing? Come on, you can't tell me you don't like the sound of it." 

   Shadow sighed. Like always, he knew she was right, but he wasn't going to press into it, "The Commander is going to want you to report the data you retrieved last night to him personally. I suggest you prepare yourself for a long day." 

   "You said it," she agreed, feeling deflated but at the same time curious as to why he changed the subject, "What will you be doing?" 

   "Filling out the mission report, most likely. Honestly, I thought being an agent would be more exciting." 

   "Every moment has its price," she sighed, now feeling sorry for him. She knew he had the patience and attention span of a toddler when he was cooped up in the office and bored out of his mind.

    "Did you know him?" Shadow suddenly asked, and it made her furrow her manicured brows in confusion. 

                "Know who, darling?"

    Shadow visibly tensed at the name, "Would you stop? You know what? Forget it. I was asking about the mongoose you took on last night." 

    "Oh! Well why didn't you say so?" she replied with a smirk and took another sip of her coffee, "Nope, sorry, babe. Never seen him before in my life." 

    Her partner was at growling point now, and she found it absolutely hilarious. She knew how much he hated the little names she gave him, but she couldn't help it. He was just too cute when he was mad.

   Shadow sighed and reined in his emotions, knowing she was only pressing him for a reaction. Why, he would never understand. Maybe it was all a game to her? An idea suddenly formed in the back of his mind. What if he decided to play back? What would her reaction be? It took all of his years of practice not to reveal the devilish smirk threatening to grace his tan muzzle before the more rational side of his mind took over. Who was he kidding? That kind of behavior wouldn't be acceptable for the Ultimate Lifeform. Or would it? 

    After walking in comfortable silence for a few minutes, the two agents strode into G.U.N. headquarters, causing many to turn their heads before going back to their separate duties. Shadow once again noticed the lingering stares of younger male recruits directed towards his partner and sent a deadly glare to deflect them. He wouldn't admit it, but he was grateful when the elevator doors closed, leaving the two alone. How did Rouge handle the constant looks she received? Maybe it was another little game to her, he would never know. As the elevator doors swung open, two agents went their separate ways, but not before Rouge waved goodbye.

    "Au revoir, Shadow," she called with the faintest trace of a French accent. He hmphed to himself, avoiding the questioning glance he was getting from the secretary. This was definitely another one of her games, and it was just about time he did something about it.