Chapter Twenty-Three

"Is Lady Velvet there with him?" Jangmi enquired, getting out of the car behind Seokjin. Her resolve shook just thinking about what it would be like to have her around once more. As it went, she was guilty for trying to act smart without understanding the consequences for her actions. To add insult to her injury, she just couldn't settle down to accept that someone could be naturally this attractive.

Seokjin turned around and shook his head, showing his refutation.

"She won't be here until dinner." Hoseok answered, shutting his side of the door with a loud slap.

"Does she intend to stay here all the time? I mean, like, why is she always around?" Jangmi mumbled, following after them.

No matter how earnestly she wanted her sentence to sound polite, it didn't. Guilt debased her when she noticed Seokjin crack a smirk.

"Why wouldn't she?" Hoseok said with an unusually straight face. "She is here for him, to say the least."

"And to say the most? What is she here for?" Jangmi kept her feet sturdy behind Hoseok. Seokjin had chosen to walk behind her so the chances of looking for his expression were none.

The office side of Taehyung's house had an eerie and dull aura. It was dark and cold like an abandoned mansion that had a weekly cleaning programme. The curtains and the carpets were dark hued, unlike the other side of his residence that used a lot of whites and blues. Probably to suit his mood, Jangmi guessed. It was a bad guess. She realised that only when her thoughts had run off really far. Because if that was indeed the case, she'd be prey to a rainy mooded Taehyung.

Seokjin slightly chuckled, "She is an important business partner from the States. So it's obvious for her to spend most of her time with her business partner."

"I guess so." Jangmi shrugged. "But business partners don't call each other by their first names, do they? Is that because she from the States too?"

"She's been with him even before Don's father passed away. You could imagine the bond." Hoseok sighed.

Jangmi had almost let that information slip. Taehyung was an orphaned child even though he seemed more than able to live alone, yet the fact that he had no parents to support him pinched her.

"So she is a friend." She mused, unsatisfied by her own remark.

The woman had intentions way above a simple friendship and anyone could see that. It would be a miracle if Taehyung hadn't melted to her desires, at least once.

Jangmi swallowed the uneasy feeling twisting inside her chest when the most awaited glass door appeared. She couldn't let her thoughts eat her alive over something so hypothetical. Jangmi wasn't strong and she knew that better than anyone else. She wouldn't be able to hold up with her fears for too long. That is why she had to hide them with optimism right where they began.

Coping with her wavered mind, she followed them inside the office.

The Mafia King sat in his desk chair at the far right, swivelled around to face the window wall behind him that threw light inside the dark room. Even though they had entered the room very conspicuously, he continued doing what he was without as much as talking to them. To her dismay, Jimin and Yoongi were present in the room as well.

Seokjin and Hoseok readily found their places on the settee with the others instead of the desk chairs around the table. And she preferred all of them to be somewhere far when she spoke with him either way.

Ignoring the provocative expression from Jimin, she marched to the table and stood next to him. Taehyung detected her presence and turned the chair half-way, glancing at her questioningly.